advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Looking at the top-down picture of the deck in the trade announcements I have a feeling the new Aro might be a 10” arm. That’s a very awkward length for a 124 as it can foul the chassis edge under the armboard depending on design (e.g. you can get away with a Rega). 9” is fine, 12” fine, but 10” can be an issue. It depends what hangs down beneath. An original Aro would likely work fine if you were able to drill the armboard for the connection plug etc.

Good point on arm length. Would be nice to read some specs or an owners manual, but I haven’t found any yet.

I’d order one save for the fact that the platter would interfere with the bottom of my tv screen. Mrs Tutu would be most upset when she’s watching Bake-Off.

It’s an exciting time and I for one cannot wait to see or hear one. If it’s the beginning of a wider analogue range, then bring it on!

I'm holding back my order as well
The platter is simply too tall/high, I'd better wait, next year the Solstice budget edition with MM cart & ordinary" platter height perhaps.?

Good point on arm length. Would be nice to read some specs or an owners manual, but I haven’t found any yet.

Thinking about it more I assume if the ever make the arm available as a separate item they’d make a version compatible with an LP12 as that is what their main customer base likely has, and if it fits a corner-braced LP12 it will certainly fit a TD-124!

According to Peter Swain, elsewhere, the spindle to pivot distance of the new Aro is 212.5mm and effective length 230mm, same as original. The mount is different.

The arm lead has some kind of bespoke decoupled plug but not sure if it’s captive or not.

You do understand that just because a company outsources manufacture of some components to another manufacturer it doesn't mean the other manufacturer gets to design them? Do you really think that Clearaudio have spent time making one of their arms look like an Aro when the well proven design for the Aro is sitting there and they could just manufacture it to that design? Yes... you probably do :rolleyes:

And risk them being accused of just rehashing an ancient arm? Why would Naim waste R&D money on a TT if they're getting Clearaudio to build it?

Naim has a significant and well-heeled following and I'm sure this will do well.

I'm not (nor likely to be anytime soon) in a position to drop this kind of money on a turntable, but if I were, I'd be all over a Technics SL-1000R. To each their own :)

I think it is just luck of the draw. Mine was a very early one bought just after the HiFi Review rave, all black, Mk I PSU (which blew up). I only had an RB300 too, so a light arm. Some folk seem to have had no issues at all, though enough of us did that the original Xerxes is a hi-fi meme! I suspect much depends on the quality and maybe grain direction of the top wood veneer as MDF has little if any long-term structural integrity so it will be that holding it up to a large degree. It was a ridiculous design error whichever way you look at it.

I admit my Mk 1 PSU did fail, though my more knowledgeable brother in law worked out how to fix his. I also had a major service when I fitted the Artemiz which improved the sound no end!

Tim

Will Brexit have a impact on the pricing outside England, as half of it's made in Europe and half In England.

Also there's new love for clearaudio on the other place :) ha, like focal.

Will Brexit have a impact on the pricing outside England, as half of it's made in Europe and half In England.

Also there's new love for clearaudio on the other place :) ha, like focal.
I would doubt it. Naim will have, as any manufacturer does, to try and keep price parity between different markets in order to avoid protect their distributors. Brexit probably adds some complications but I can’t see it having much impact on price outside the UK.

I bought a deck that overlapped the bottom of the TV screen a couple of years ago, at least with the cover on it did, even after I’d raised the TV as far as the mounts would allow without resorting to a hack saw. there’s not much in the bottom inch or three that you miss.

If the Aro2 utilises a new mount this is either because they considered there was an improvement in modifying the original, or because they didn’t want to see any fitted to a Linn for comparison with an original.

If the Aro2 utilises a new mount this is either because they considered there was an improvement in modifying the original, or because they didn’t want to see any fitted to a Linn for comparison with an original.
That would seem like a very silly decision if so. They were never scared with the old one and there’s a market to sell to that may be very receptive to a new Aro.

It’s a very tall platter. I remember the Clearaudio designed MF M1 TT having a tall platter. Must be a thing for higher end Clearaudio TTs.

advertisement

Back