advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

I’m amazed Naim managed to keep it under wraps as long as they did!

Naim won't be paying for these decks in advance and won't have a container full of them sitting in the car park. They'll arrive in batches and Naim will be paying for them in batches. After they take delivery. Whatever deal they've come to with Clearaudio there will be flexibility built into it to allow for sales not meeting expectations.

Loads of products are outsourced, all of Linn's cartridges and the arms they had made in Japan for decades. Many more use major components that are, most of the bits of all Rega turntables for instance. Were they all marketed this way and pre-sold before anyone was given the opportunity to hear them?

No. That's not how OEM manufacturing has to work. This is a deliberate marketing strategy by Naim to sell their product as quickly and easily as possible. With a full order book they'll be getting paid for the decks as fast as they can be built and they don't need to worry about providing dealers with demo decks, waiting until costumers get a chance to hear them and praying they like them.

What it says it that they have more confidence in the power of their brand than they do in the quality of the product.

After looking through the latest whf mag, that £16k is crazy money when a rega planar 10, power supply, cart and dust cover is a mere £4499 and the rega planar 8 is a freebie at £1699.
You can't compare Naim to Rega. Naim is the Rolls Royce of hifi. Even at £16,000 it's all snapped up within a day. There's not enough for potential buyers! :p duck and cover.

Chaps

A lot of hot air over nothing to be honest. Naim have launched a good quality TT as a limited edition. That will ensure that spivs don't buy it and then resell it at a profit. It will almost be sold to those who will hold on to it.

You will soon get to hear about the quality of the product as in the age of the internet, people are quick to voice their opinions on the sound and quality etc. I would rather hear from those who have bought one of the 500 than from someone who has never yet seen one, let alone have played it.

Just keep calm and the passage of time will pass judgement.

Regards

Mick

If I were a Naim fanboi it would put me off, if I were spending 16k on a TT I'd want it to be Naim designed and built in-house instead of a farmed out rebadge.

Also, what's betting the Aro has virtually nothing in common with the original other than sharing a name and looking like one if you squint a bit? It will be a Clearaudio arm made to look like an Aro.

It screams nothing of being designed around a specific sound or theory and more about cashing in on a bit of nostalgia whilst hoovering up potentially the last big upgrade cash from the rich silver tops still clinging on.

PS I don't care that it is Naim, I'd have the same opinion whoever made it.
Would be half interested in the Aro if it’s up to snuff and not just a styling/marketing exercise. Not fussed by the massive platter TT, the psu/stage design looks nice and clean, be interesting to read what folk think once they have been out in the wild for a few weeks, maybe someone will setup a bake off against the usuals LP12/Orbe/Techy etc.

Would be half interested in the Aro if it’s up to snuff and not just a styling/marketing exercise. Not fussed by the massive platter TT, the psu/stage design looks nice and clean, be interesting to read what folk think once they have been out in the wild for a few weeks, maybe someone will setup a bake off against the usuals LP12/Orbe/Techy etc.

I believe the guy who designed the original Aro has been re-hired to develop this new version - so I think they will have sought to improve it. Time will tell.

I think it's a clever move by Naim which has wrong-footed loads of people - including me - as I was expecting the replacement NAC 272 - maybe later in the year!

In the broader sense they are stealing some of eg Linn's lunch - but that's fair enough as Linn have been a broader company than turntables for decades now - and I'd be surprised if Naim don't follow their usual tactic where there is trickle down of less limited editions and stand alone products in due course.

And on price - Naim ( and Linn) retain support in the second hand market but that market only operates because some people do buy new - and Naim do support every product they make in Salisbury if parts exist.

Pronounced Gui.

As long as the phonostage is more Superline than 323 i think it offers fair market value. Sure itd be a little over half that from Clearaudio themselves but the in wouldnt have that arm or phonostage, both highly regarded items, if its not a reboxed 323.

Can you buy a great arm, deck, cart and psu for less, of course you can, but that takes nothing away from it.

It's a problem, especially for the crinkly old farts who have just ordered it. Without even hearing it. Which tells you all that you need to know about them and the sales strategy Naim are employing here.

…sold faster than you can say “Single ‘Speaker Demo Room”

Andrew

Chaps

A lot of hot air over nothing to be honest. Naim have launched a good quality TT as a limited edition. That will ensure that spivs don't buy it and then resell it at a profit. It will almost be sold to those who will hold on to it.

You will soon get to hear about the quality of the product as in the age of the internet, people are quick to voice their opinions on the sound and quality etc. I would rather hear from those who have bought one of the 500 than from someone who has never yet seen one, let alone have played it.

Just keep calm and the passage of time will pass judgement.

Regards

Mick

Mick

Your voice has been missed. Common sense as always.

Cheers

I have said many times on here that Naim are a brilliant marketing company and today justifies my comment.

The 500 tables will sell in no time at all. Partly to the fanbois and partly to those who are fed up with the audio nervosa associated with the LP12.

This gives the Salisbury outfit a relatively quick profit (although we don’t know how much has been spent on r & d.) The shareholders will be happy but more importantly, it gives the company an idea of the direction of travel for a tt over the next few years. If the table is good (and I can’t believe that Naim’s first offering in this area will be a dud) then they have plenty of options for the future.

Enhanced power supplies are the obvious route and perhaps a super version of the phono stage. They could also offer a tt psu/phono as a single box. Suddenly, they have options for an entry-level model (perhaps with a lower spec tt) plus an upgrade path.

The people at Naim know what they are doing.

It does seem an odd time to launch a TT after all these years. Good luck to them.

I like to spin the occasional disc, having the option to pick up the odd bargain but wouldn’t go this mad for one.

advertisement

Back