advertisement

Anyone for a Sandwich ?

I assume they’d be voiced for the thinking of the time, e.g. sitting on the floor against a wall etc. Many speakers of this era sound awful if people try and use them the way one would a modern stand-mount. The Klipsch Heresy being a prime example; no bass at all when used on a stand away from a wall as it simply was not designed for that location.

On floor and about 1.5' out from walls when I've heard them. Amps have been St 20 with Varislope pre, St 70 Plus and Sugden A48. Source Garrard 401 with SME 3009 S2 and usually Shure carts. I remember thinking how the hell did they sell any more of these after the ESL57 came out!

They're certainly not an overlooked classic, more's the pity. I had a pleasant enough few months with a pair once when I was in between speakers. But I wouldn't rave about them either way.

Yeah I got a pair from a boot sale years ago when I was just starting to enjoy playing with hifi gear. I thought they sounded absolutely fine sitting on the floor hooked up to a cheap Pioneer integrated, pretty nice big & bouncy sound really. I subsequently tried them with a Naim Nait and that was an entirely horrific experience and matched how Arkless has described them (I'm still not sure whether the speakers were worse than the amp or vice versa :D).

Nice solid cabs iirc though I had to use mini crocodile clips to attach the speaker cable to those silly pins that they had sticking out of them, haha.

advertisement

Back