advertisement

Big life change and everthing is now for sale

The market is in 'stupid' mode now. We sold up in London last year and were getting offers of silly money. We did well but went with the buyer that seemed most solvent. Finding a house was very difficult. Unless you called milliseconds after it went up it was gone. We ended up finding one by word of mouth before it went up and were the first to see it. If we were 2 or 3 we would not have got it. So I certainly can empathise to the OP. Hang in there!

Sounds great! What's left of the studio? Do we get pictures?

It's just a big empty space at the moment, but here it is with Ludo providing some scale:

171728336.iKfaSkIb.tt103.jpg

I did find a picture online from a few years back of Pye in the studio though:

171728396.h18BLE1X.pye_hastings01.jpg

The studio is pretty big and I've not decided what to use it for yet.

A bungalow we looked at last year (150 yards from were we are now) but needed a lot of stuff doing is back on the market.
Now they want approx 400k for it.
The Wife states that that price is completely taking the peas. :(

The potential music room has long open views of 9 miles ish. Nice rectangle, lots of glass.
The room behind that has potential as a HiFi room as well.
We will book to have a look around, mainly to see what they have changed and moan about, ‘how they did it on the cheap…’
They didn’t put a dormer extension in the roof, but had the roof completely re-done. Fools. That might have swung The Wife’s opinion.

I will enjoy standing in an empty space thinking about where to locate the speakers…

What a bloody nightmare this is , At least 6 homes I have shown intrest in have sold almost instantly
One yesterday that I phoned about told me the earliest I could view is next wednesday, I asked why ? Because we have 3 viewings today , 3 on Friday and more next week , I confirmed the booking , At midday I had a phone call saying the property is now sold so your viewing is now cancelled ,Oh dear :(

Not much consolation but it really does feel like an unusual market at the moment with a lot of pent-up demand over the past year overheating things. One flat in our block took months to shift over lockdown. Two others have sold in under 48 hours in recent weeks. My guess is things will calm down eventually.

What a bloody nightmare this is , At least 6 homes I have shown intrest in have sold almost instantly
One yesterday that I phoned about told me the earliest I could view is next wednesday, I asked why ? Because we have 3 viewings today , 3 on Friday and more next week , I confirmed the booking , At midday I had a phone call saying the property is now sold so your viewing is now cancelled ,Oh dear :(

We encountered a lot of those and whenever that occurred we dropped our interest as either a sale would be agreed before we viewed, or at best they'd set a closing date on the Monday after we'd viewed at the weekend. I didn't want to get into an auction with other highly motivated buyers so just started avoiding those situations.

Not much consolation but it really does feel like an unusual market at the moment with a lot of pent-up demand over the past year overheating things.

In the areas we'd been looking in the main issue seemed to be a lack of supply, with lots of potential buyers then fighting over any decent property as soon as it came on the market.

I've been reading the thread with interest, I hope you find something suitable soon @AudioAl

My wife and I are also planning to move out (London) though not for another 18/24 months by which time we hope that things may have calmed down - reading recent comments, I really cannot see things continuing as they are. We're planning to sell up and then move to where we're looking and rent for several months - get to know the agents and hopefully be in a situation where we hear of properties before they go on the likes of R/move and the like.

Initially we were looking at Dorset and Wareham in particular - I worked in Poole many many years ago and would always head over to Purbeck for days out. For the last twenty or so years, the Isle of Purbeck has been our summer camping trip, staying for two of three weeks. We've fallen in love with Wareham - several pubs and a direct train to London. Prices have massively jumped though and whilst there last summer, we felt some massive resentment by some of the younger people living there, not directed at us, but generally about house prices etc. It did make us think - not knowing anyone - albeit we're very sociable and make friends easy, we did wonder whether we might prefer being in a bigger place.

We're now looking around Torquay/Bay - we've a couple of good friends that live there so have that social side - it's also a much bigger place, there's a hospital (for an underlying health issue of mine) and the sea! We think this is where we'll now end up - we still like Wareham and will be back camping that way this August, maybe there will be our longer term retirement place...

The studio is pretty big and I've not decided what to use it for yet.
I heard Mrs SG was planning on having it as a naughty step, with the heating turned off of course.

It looks about 6m x 6m, at a guess. Double garage size. I doubt a proposal of bike maintenance workshop would fly with the powers that be, though.

I heard Mrs SG was planning on having it as a naughty step, with the heating turned off of course.

It looks about 6m x 6m, at a guess. Double garage size. I doubt a proposal of bike maintenance workshop would fly with the powers that be, though.

4.61m x 4.39m according to the property schedule - I think I was using a very wife angle 14mm lens (on a full-frame DSLR) for that photo which is probably why it looks bigger. That's still a fair size though. I suspect it'll end up partly as office space (with a couple of desks) and maybe partly a gym (including a turbo-trainer). I've also got a spare Naim active set-up and that could be its new home.

Our house went on the market Friday and by Saturday afternoon after 16 viewings we have had 6 offers the best one so far of £35,000 over the guide price. We still have another 9 viewings booked in over the next 2 days and I will be talking to the estate agent of how best to proceed tomorrow morning. It's a crazy market at the moment.

I've been reading the thread with interest, I hope you find something suitable soon @AudioAl

My wife and I are also planning to move out (London) though not for another 18/24 months by which time we hope that things may have calmed down - reading recent comments, I really cannot see things continuing as they are. We're planning to sell up and then move to where we're looking and rent for several months - get to know the agents and hopefully be in a situation where we hear of properties before they go on the likes of R/move and the like.

Initially we were looking at Dorset and Wareham in particular - I worked in Poole many many years ago and would always head over to Purbeck for days out. For the last twenty or so years, the Isle of Purbeck has been our summer camping trip, staying for two of three weeks. We've fallen in love with Wareham - several pubs and a direct train to London. Prices have massively jumped though and whilst there last summer, we felt some massive resentment by some of the younger people living there, not directed at us, but generally about house prices etc. It did make us think - not knowing anyone - albeit we're very sociable and make friends easy, we did wonder whether we might prefer being in a bigger place.

We're now looking around Torquay/Bay - we've a couple of good friends that live there so have that social side - it's also a much bigger place, there's a hospital (for an underlying health issue of mine) and the sea! We think this is where we'll now end up - we still like Wareham and will be back camping that way this August, maybe there will be our longer term retirement place...
Torquay is a superb value place to live but can be pricy, I was salivating over a 3 million pound place in wellswood recently. Been watching the property market there for 10 years now . At one point it overtook the Midlands but now the Midlands has exceeded it. Some tremendous places to live and walking on walls hill in the sunshine 2 weeks ago was like Corfu . I love the place and were it not for my wife not wanting to go back there I would go. No doubt there will be other fishies who can advise . I rather like teignmouth and dawlish too although prices are a bit steep in dawlish .

advertisement

Back