advertisement

Turntable up to £2k

Thanks mole man
Did you feel the ania pro was a warmer cartridge? Or was there not much difference between the 2
Cheers
Tony

Between lockdowns I had a couple of dems of the Rega P8 with Ania and Ania Pro cartridges respectively. The sound, insight and foot tapping involvement were sky high but the thing is that I just don’t like the stripped down, Caterham Seven-eque looks. I find that I much prefer the traditional fruit box styling of the LP12. Surprised that the OP hasn’t included the Notts Analogue Spacedeck on his (ever lengthening) short list.

I feel sort of the same, sold my RP8 with no regrets.
Love the P7 looks (now) but guess P8 sound better.
I'd stay clear of Ania, the two i've heard had IGD issues which took my joy away.
A Goldring 1042 at half price bettered them so to speak.

The sound, insight and foot tapping involvement were sky high but the thing is that I just don’t like the stripped down, Caterham Seven-eque looks. I find that I much prefer the traditional fruit box styling of the LP12. Surprised that the OP hasn’t included the Notts Analogue Spacedeck on his (ever lengthening) short list.

p9/P9 are about as good as it gets for a traditional look imo, although IIRC there's nothing traditional looking about an NAS. I'm guessing the Naiad doesn't appeal also (although it's more Formula One).

Thanks mole man
Did you feel the ania pro was a warmer cartridge? Or was there not much difference between the 2
Cheers
Tony

To be honest it’s hard for me to say given that two different systems (and very different listening rooms) were involved. I would say that I didn’t really detect a night and day difference between the two cartridges. Both cartridges were extremely impressive in unearthing detail and neither struck me as being in any way harsh sounding.

p9/P9 are about as good as it gets for a traditional look imo, although IIRC there's nothing traditional looking about an NAS. I'm guessing the Naiad doesn't appeal also (although it's more Formula One).

Re. The Notts Analaogue - I meant for the OP’s choice - not mine. I’d certainly love a P9 but couldn’t afford the admission price of the Naiad (not that thick on the ground either).

Gyrodec is one of my favourite turntables. It comes in two variants, the “full” Gyro,W hi hi has a Perspex plinth & lid, or the SE version which is more “skeletal” , although you can add a lid or platter cover if you want.
It works really well with the Michell tecnoarm which is a Rega arm, modified by Michell. I’ve heard that TT/arm combo with MM carts such as an Ortofon 2mBlack, as well as more expensive MC carts such as an Ortofon Quintet, Cadenza & a Lyra Delos. It really is an excellent turntable which also looks ( imho) stunning.
It can be upgraded in stages by adding the optional HR power supply, or going to an SME iv or v arm, or also adding the Orbe platter, although when you do this, you lose the visuals of the Gyro. There are also 3rd party modifications to the suspension & a different platter, but I haven’t personally heard what that does.
I would strongly suggest a Gyro with the Tecnoarm, along with a cart & phono stage to fit into your budget. You can add the upgraded power supply or leave that for a later purchase.
You’d be looking at a £2.5k package & for me at that price, it is the one to beat.

My brother and I plan to have a dem of the full Gyro once this lockdown finishes. My brother is in the same position as the OP and is looking to buy a ‘forever’ turntable. I heard the Gyro SE over a decade or so ago (can’t recall the cartridge or system other than PMC speakers and maybe Naim amplification) but my impression was that the Gyro was really quite neutral to a fault. I know that I liked the looks and very nearly bought one but ultimately ended up with an entry level LP12 which I still have.

Last edited:
I was looking for a bargain last year, waited and watched the outlet stores. The Pro-Ject 1Xpression Carbon UKX in midnight blue came up at Henley Audio's and they accepted £289. IMO that's a great price as it has the carbon arm, Ortofon 2M Silver, acrylic platter and retailed for over double that.

https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/Xpression-Carbon-UKX

Hopefully a win-win as I wasn't exactly flush and it was a clear out of a discontinued model due to a new version. Wasn't keen on the midnight blue at first, but I've grown to love it, and I like the contrast it brings with different coloured vinyl.

atonalist.jpg

For under £300, that’s a very decent turntable. Even at its regular price of £600 ish (iirc), it’s not shabby.
The colour isn’t going to be everyone’s choice, but I’ve seen a lot worse.
Enjoy.

Reactions: PJD
Hi everyone
So an update on my TT search
Tested rega p8
Vertere dg1 and mg1
Testing a goldnote pianosa this week with mm
Anyone else had a chance to listen to the goldnote range ?
Thanks
Tony

One thing I'd suggest keeping in mind: The company that makes whatever TT you end up with and their track record in being able to service what they've sold. I've seen a number of people, including some friends, who have been wowed by a TT (or CDP, amp, speaker, etc.), buy it, and then have expensive trouble when something fails. With TTs, I'm thinking of Well-Tempered, where a friend bought one and WT couldn't repair/replace something on it. Obviously there are no guarantees, but larger companies like Rega, Linn, Technics, etc. would *seem* to be better placed for the long run, as desirable as some other TTs may be.

Just a thought!

Hi Bob
Many thanks for your wise words
I am currently running a rega 3 with goldring 1042 which is on a mana clamp and I am still amazed how good it sounds
The demo should be interesting
Cheers
Tony

Hi guys
So just an update
Demoed
Veretere dg1
Lp 12 majik
Goldnote pianosa
Rega p8

I finally did purchase a turntable for well under the 2k budget :)
I purchased from this forum a very nice Clearaudio concept with concept mc cartridge, clamp , lid upgraded feet and most importantly the LDA linear power supply
I also bought a naim stageline s from the forum so no extra power supply needed and it looks and sounds fantastic
Thanks again for all your advice you sent me on quite a journey
Cheers
Tony

My brother and I plan to have a dem of the full Gyro once this lockdown finishes. My brother is in the same position as the OP and is looking to buy a ‘forever’ turntable. I heard the Gyro SE over a decade or so ago (can’t recall the cartridge or system other than PMC speakers and maybe Naim amplification) but my impression was that the Gyro was really quite neutral to a fault. I know that I liked the looks and very nearly bought one but ultimately ended up with an entry level LP12 which I still have.

It is a beautful thing, I loved mine. I think here in the UK we still do high end engineering that's world class and I include hifi in that. Appreciate some people like to buy new and the small manufacturers really need some of us to do that, but you'd get a second hand NA Dais for about the same cash, and that is a seriously good turntable.

It is a beautful thing, I loved mine. I think here in the UK we still do high end engineering that's world class and I include hifi in that. Appreciate some people like to buy new and the small manufacturers really need some of us to do that, but you'd get a second hand NA Dais for about the same cash, and that is a seriously good turntable.

My brother and I recently went for that long awaited demo, and he made the uncharacteristically impulsive move of ordering a brand new Gyro, plus arm and cartridge - plus a rack to put it on! Delivery time was quoted as being six weeks, so he should have it in a few weeks. Pains me to admit it (as an LP12 owner) but it was the best sounding turntable I’ve ever heard…!!

My brother and I recently went for that long awaited demo, and he made the uncharacteristically impulsive move of ordering a brand new Gyro, plus arm and cartridge - plus a rack to put it on! Delivery time was quoted as being six weeks, so he should have it in a few weeks. Pains me to admit it (as an LP12 owner) but it was the best sounding turntable I’ve ever heard…!!

You'll not really go wrong with a Gyrodec, excellent turntable , probably the best at that price IMHO

No one ever mentions the perspex Roksan Radius 5 or 7 in these threads. I’ve got one here and love it. Sounds great, better than the low/mid range Rega’s I had previously, especially towards the centre of an LP and on tightly grooved discs.

About £1600 new leaving £400 for a decent cartridge.

advertisement

Back