advertisement

Bercow speaks, shoots and leaves

Takes a showman to recognise one. He was a breath of fresh air and also quite damaging at times. The current speaker is starting to get seriously irritated by the blond sociopath.

He was very good in the job of Speaker, he did all he could to hold the tories back without much help from those who should have grabbed it.

Next Labour leader ?
That crossed my mind too in a not totally serious sort of way. He'd have to get selected as a candidate and win a seat first of course, and while I can see that he would ginger things up a bit and appeal to many sensible middle of the road centrist pro EU people like me, I wonder what the Labour Party True Believers would make of him? He comes with a fair amount of old right-wing though now apparently discarded baggage as he readily admits. Be interesting to see what, if anything, he does now!

Wouldn't it be good to see him back in the House putting his boot into Johnson's flabby gut?

While the defection of Brecon is welcome and highlighting the "reactionary, populist, nationalistic and sometimes even xenophobic" nature of the Tory government in the news refreshing, the obvious question has to be that if he is against reactionary, populist, nationalistic and sometimes even xenophobic politics, why did he join the Tories in the first place?

As MP for Buckingham in 1997 he was opposing the New Labour politics of Blair, so the question has to be, is his defection down to a personal antipathy towards Boris Johnson, or a more political and ideological conversion?

Hopefully we’ll learn more in the next few days

He’s certainly an impressive speaker and likely responsible for containing one or two of the more anti constitutional excesses of Johnson which does him credit.

As MP for Buckingham in 1997 he was opposing the New Labour politics of Blair, so the question has to be, is his defection down to a personal antipathy towards Boris Johnson, or a more political and ideological conversion?

In fairness the Conservative Party of John Major in 1997 was entirely different to the popularist/nationalist hard-right Trump/UKIP clone of Johnson. Parties do not stay in one place on the map and the Tory party has moved a huge distance since the mass purge of moderates leading into the last election. His analysis is entirely correct, and I guess Starmer’s Labour exists pretty much exactly where Major’s Tories did in 97. One could easily argue he has stayed where he was and the parties have moved around him.

Burcow moves to Labour.

I was sure he was Labour years ago, but then I take little notice of bullies if I can help it.

In fairness the Conservative Party of John Major in 1997 was entirely different to the popularist/nationalist hard-right Trump/UKIP clone of Johnson. Parties do not stay in one place on the map and the Tory party has moved a huge distance since the mass purge of moderates leading into the last election. His analysis is entirely correct, and I guess Starmer’s Labour exists pretty much exactly where Major’s Tories did in 97. One could easily argue he has stayed where he was and the parties have moved around him.
He’s on Sky right now

There is only ONE reason for him to join Labour. He hopes to secure a peerage. That is all he wants.

His wife ( gone very quiet in recent years after the near divorce) was always a Labour supporter, if not a member (not sure if she was and actual member)

The horrible little person has only done it so he can be nominated for the peerage he has not received for being a Speaker, as has been the norm.

Bercow answered my question on Sky, he said that it was he that has moved and changed his political outlook over the years. He now describes himself as left of centre and for ‘equality, social justice and internationalism’.

Bloody woke.

While the defection of Brecon is welcome and highlighting the "reactionary, populist, nationalistic and sometimes even xenophobic" nature of the Tory government in the news refreshing, the obvious question has to be that if he is against reactionary, populist, nationalistic and sometimes even xenophobic politics, why did he join the Tories in the first place?

Hopefully we’ll learn more in the next few days

He’s certainly an impressive speaker and likely responsible for containing one or two of the more anti constitutional excesses of Johnson which does him credit.
The tory party in 1997 was bad, but the current bunch is in an entirely different league.

Bercow answered my question on Sky, he said that it was he that has moved and changed his political outlook over the years. He now describes himself as left of centre and for ‘equality, social justice and internationalism’.

Bloody woke.
Which was kind of obvious.

I’ll bet he doesn’t consider himself ‘woke’. :D

The horrible little person has only done it so he can be nominated for the peerage he has not received for being a Speaker, as has been the norm.
I don't get the impression he GAF about a peerage...if he did he would have been a tory enabler, rather than a thorn in their side when speaker. I mean, that worked well for quite a few calling themselves labour, n'est ce pas?

advertisement

Back