advertisement

How Much Have You Spent On Room Treatment?

How Much Have You Spent On Room Treatment?

• 0 - £250

Votes: 72 66.1%
  • £250 - £500

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • £501 — £1,000

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • £1,001 - £2,000

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • £2,001 - £5,000

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • £5,001 - £10,000

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • > £10,000

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
Does an expensive (£200) ergonomic matress that didn't work for me and now is rolled together and supposed to be a basstrap count?

I did once have something near a live end/dead end room, but then I got a new GF and removed it before her first visit. The difference wasn't that big.

A lot putting in a mezzanine floor to drop the ceiling from 19' down to 9'
It gave me an office upstairs, but it did solve the lack of bass problems that I had

Like your reply - not intelligible.

*sigh*

Fine, I'll spell it out for you.

It was just a joke about how Jez Arkless has no patience for anyone who professes to have hi-fi as a hobby but who haven't taken the time to learn not only basic electronics but also principles of audio-related electronics, and yet he goes and makes a strident, evidence-free, n=1 empirical statement about acoustics in his room, giving no deference to the theory and thereby apearing indistinguishable from someone making claims about cables in their system.

Edit: and in the spirit of having to spell stuff out, I'm not making any claims about cables or whatever, just making a meta joke at the forum level rather than the thread level.

Embarrasingly I have no current investment in room treatments, which I would happily do if I could only find an arrangement that was domestically acceptable... until such time, I rely on couches, shelves of books and records, and my carpet to deal with some - but not all - of my room nasties. Everything is awesome (thanks Emmett ;) ) but I do have the usual nodal reinforcements and some cancellations in the bass, which only Big Fat Trapping can help, but no space, and even if I did... well,..... the FPO, she say 'no'.... :(

Nothing at all.
Room has a rug, textiles, plants, pictures and a large Kallax, none of which were bought for their audio qualities.

@paulfromcamden is vibration control to be considered in this picture? If so I am in the 500-1000 bracket considering I went for some vibration control first.. despite I am believing the real difference is with room treatment (and also with electric), I reckon it will be hard to digest some acoustic treatment in our living room but time will tell..

Homemade tubetraps in all 4 corners plus panel absorbers at side walls. Maybe £200 in materials plus hours and hours of unpaid labour. Using Jon Risch recipe from over 20 years ago. Highly recommended.

Intend to try acoustic diffusers (Diy) at some point along rear wall. Interested in the Arqen designs.

Last edited:
What is a stretched micro porous covering please? Hopefully it is reasonably priced and very porous and invisible :)
Not cheap - around 7000€ for 33m2 including the acoustic rock wool, new ceiling and labour. But coherent in terms of the money spent on the hi-fi...
The new ceiling is a stretched white plastic affair with micro perforations to avoid re-creating the echo.

Tried GIK panels in my last pad, placed non-scientifically on the 'live' rear (behind me) wall. Gave better imaging and overall calming effect. Didn't look great apparently so replaced with a tapestry which worked nicely too. And to be fair did look a lot better.

In moving, rug, curtains, tapestry and everything was stripped out before the hifi. It sounded awful! (Also made me wonder how much one could just DSP a room like that - a big bouncy space).

Not cheap - around 7000€ for 33m2 including the acoustic rock wool, new ceiling and labour. But coherent in terms of the money spent on the hi-fi...
The new ceiling is a stretched white plastic affair with micro perforations to avoid re-creating the echo.

Wow you can say that again but when you look at the size of the space rockwool, new ceiling and labour will certainly not be a few hundred quid. I expect the stretched white plastic with micro perforations cost a fair chunk also. Do you have a link or name for this stuff? Just curious.

I spent lots on my room with still more to spend. Most of the floor was done due to a basement apartment underneath that I wanted to ensure was as protected from the 'noise' of my hifi as possible. Rockwool throughout, mass loaded 10kg vinyl and really heavy carpet underlay coupled with doubling up the joists on the floor and using two layers of soundblock on the ceiling below. I also using fire retardant mastic on the perimeter. Still need to do rockwool in the ceiling above and also diffusers and maybe some more bass panels so I understand how cost can mount up. Nobody sees it unlike the shiny new amp or new speakers but for me it is necessary.

advertisement

Back