advertisement

Classic TV

Rumpole of the Bailey.

I have seen Rumpole, but I must have not watched it.

Definitely watched Crown Court. I think it was on about 12:30 hrs, after Pipkins and Rainbow. I had time to run back to school, as we lived next to it. (junior school)

No racism in python? Hardly.

Game show, Cleese:
-Hello Mrs Ni**r Baiter!
- I don't like darkies...
- Aha ha ha ha ha! Who does?

Still makes me laugh out loud and heaven knows how many times I've seen it.
MP were really good. Some of it I still simply don't get and seems like complete nonsense, and I never really got on with the animations, but there were some truly great, and still very funny, sketches.
That was the thing with Python, they were experimenting. When it works, it's brilliant. But lots of it misses or just doesn't work. The spaceship in Life of Brian is a case in point.

Survivors by the BBC 1975-1977. Although the premise is preposterous – “It concerns the plight of a group of people who have survived an apocalyptic plague pandemic, which was accidentally released by a Chinese scientist and quickly spread across the world via air travel.”

Forces TV SKY channel 181 runs a lot of old programmes. I guess they know the audience. Examples are Sykes, Citizen Smith, CHiPS, Dukes of Hazzard and Chance in a Million. All mildly amusing. There are also some interesting Military News, aircraft and munitions programmes too.
I remember Chance in a Million from the 80's, and recall it being hilarious, but maybe that was just my sense of humour. Brenda Blethyn and Simon Callow both went on to much bigger things. I forgot about the bit where Tom Chance would stop in mid-sentence, sink a whole pint in one go, then finish the sentence (fake pint glass used), and used to talk in 'telegram' type language with only critical words used. I recorded the lot (3 series) so will have a look sometime.

Don’t know if these have been mentioned but a couple of great comedies from yesteryear
the star-laden ‘Taxi’
‘The Paul Hogan Show’... or whatever it was called

Survivors by the BBC 1975-1977. Although the premise is preposterous – “It concerns the plight of a group of people who have survived an apocalyptic plague pandemic, which was accidentally released by a Chinese scientist and quickly spread across the world via air travel.”

‘Survivors’ I watched from the start and was very into it. Caught my imagination spot on.

Ripped Blakes 7 to bits, but I enjoyed that as well.

Currently I'm occasionally watching old B&W episodes of The Saint (Roger Moore and the Volvo) and Sgt Cork. One is good for style and humour, the other shows a fair bit of the kind of 'social content' that its writer used to get onto ITV.

No racism in python? Hardly.

Game show, Cleese:
-Hello Mrs Ni**r Baiter!
- I don't like darkies...
- Aha ha ha ha ha! Who does?
I think there's a distinction to be made between material that exposes or explores racism - say Till Death Us Do Part and programes that uncritically and unthinkingly embraced it, It Aint Half Hot, or the Black and White Minstrel Show.
I'd put Python in the former camp.

I think there's a distinction to be made between material that exposes or explores racism - say Till Death Us Do Part and programes that uncritically and unthinkingly embraced it, It Aint Half Hot, or the Black and White Minstrel Show.
I'd put Python in the former camp.
Yes there is, of course. However it's a thin line and inventing the character of "Mrs N**r Baiter" is IMO over it. By the standards of today, etc.

My parents were /are religious.
They deemed it so. It was bedtime anyhoo.

edit: anything sci-fi was encouraged.

I don’t think I could have coped with anything more risqué than Lt Ellis on UFO as a youngster, she played absolute havoc with my hormones.

advertisement

Back