advertisement

Forced Covid vaccinations

Despite the fact that The Lancet reports only a 60-79% (vaccine type dependent) protection against the Delta variant? That's a novel way to play Russian roulette with a loved one.

Who is the real anti-vaxxer here? Downplaying how well the vaccines work.

I’ve had my first jab and I’ll have the second one when I’m invited. I’d encourage anyone else to do the same.

What this thread has shown is despite the condescending nature of many of those who support mandatory vaccinations, there are a number of people who share my view point and that translates to the country as a whole.

The Lib Dems as a party (of the left) oppose compulsory vaccinations and domestic vaccine passports. Does that make them anti-vax?

IMO if you're so stupid you don’t want to be vaccinated you’re too stupid to be allowed to work with vulnerable people in a caring profession.

Calling people stupid is not the way to encourage someone to have the jab. It will make them even more determined not to. Bit like how Brexit voters were told they were stupid. That same condescending, superior attitude.

For the record, they’re not stupid.

Let's get this straight, this is not enforced vaccination; everybody has the choice whether or not to have it. But employers have the right to expect those who are going to be in close contact with vulnerable people, to be vaccinated. If they don't agree, then they can walk away. The ten's of thousands of elderly in care homes who passed away from covid had no say in the matter.

That is certainly my perspective. If you own, run, or are in anyway responsible for a care home you are selling a safe comfortable environment and professional care to those who most need it. Many who live in such accommodation are hugely vulnerable, the impact on the elderly is well documented, but covid 19 has also proven especially brutal in our disabled communities with countless people losing their lives. It annoys me that this is not headline news day in, day out, but as ever these folk have far too few advocates, especially those with learning disabilities etc. Down Syndrome folk are especially at risk and are dying in alarming numbers. As such employing anti-vaccine nutters to work in such an environment is gross irresponsibility IMHO.

If I ran a carehome and failed to ensure all staff were fully vaccinated and all covid 19 procedures were adhered to I’d fully expect to face being sued by family members of the people entrusted in my care. I’d feel I deserved it too. Even ignoring the basic humanitarian moral compass aspect of trying to do the absolute best for those your whole job is to protect and care for, it makes zero sense from a business perspective to employ people who may end up killing half your patients (and therefore income stream and reputation) through their ignorance and lack of scientific understanding. There is no justification from any perspective. Basically if I was in that position and an employee refused vaccination they be out the door immediately. No way in hell would I have them anywhere near vulnerable residents in my care. Everything else is secondary.

I have no idea how this can’t be the case in the NHS.

PS The most disturbing thing I’ve heard in a very long while is a lot of disabled people with learning disabilities were/are apparently being issued with DNRs without any consultation, i.e. they are just being allowed to die if they catch covid (Guardian, and reported on TV news more recenty). I find this so far beyond incomprehensible I’m lost for words (my first work experience after leaving school was with Down Syndrome folk so this really winds me up big time).

"I know a black guy. How can I be racist?"

If the level of debate is simply branding someone as an anti-vaxxer, a Covid denier or conspiracy theorist because they have a different opinion to you, it really has become very poor.

If the level of debate is simply branding someone as an anti-vaxxer, a Covid denier or conspiracy theorist because they have a different opinion to you, it really has become very poor.
Can you answer a simple question? Why would anyone, in healthcare or otherwise, not want to be vaccinated?

Can you answer a simple question? Why would anyone, in healthcare or otherwise, not want to be vaccinated?

I honestly can’t answer that without reading into it.

There are clearly a lot of people who won’t and a number of them do seem to be from BAME backgrounds. Maybe there’s religious reasons why or a lack of trust in government or authorities.

One thing it isn’t with most people is that they’re stupid. They’re not.

Education and awareness is the key, not forced vaccination or being told they’re stupid, which will make them even more determined to not get that jab.

Of course not, you cant force them to have the vaccine, and you most certainly can't hold their jobs over their heads if they don't take it.

Utterly ridiculous to force anyone to take a voluntary vaccine. I was tested twice a week when working there until I retired in March. The reason there was so many deaths in care homes was the govt policy of putting hospital patients into them and even if someone died from some other condition it was recorded as Covid related. In fact in the beginning they weren't even issuing Death Certificates at our home and we had zero deaths due to Covid and as far as I know we still haven't had any at our home up until now and I know for a fact that not all the staff are vaccinated.

I'm loving the hypocrisy of the majority slagging the govt response for over a year and the minute forced vaccination is announced you're loving them.

What's next, forced euthanasia for the Coffin Dodgers in god's waiting room?

There are plenty reasons NOT to take it. Remember each of the Covid vacs are still in trial stages, and who are the Guinea pigs? AZ one being dropped for over 50s etc

Good luck in the courts with forced vaccinations.

As for mandatory HepB vacs, that's in your contact which you know BEFORE you sign it. The HepB vac is also tried and tested and been used for years, these Covid vaccines are so new we don't know how they'll affect people in the future.

This is about the Govt shifting blame yet again, first it was the scientists, now it's care home staff!

Edit: you do realise that having the vaccination doesn't mean you can't pass it on if you catch it. It only attempts to lessen the affect on you.

I'm also pretty sure having the vaccination makes some people think they're invincible and thereby causing a higher chance of infection of themselves and others

advertisement

Back