advertisement

Rega IO vs. Brio 2017

I reckon if you're were to utilise it as part of a desktop or near-field system then the chances of it staying put are very high indeed!

I'll put it up against a Cyrus 8 Dac at 4x the cost and lets see how it does, because sometimes less is more :)

Haha yes I thought the same, I've lots to shift but it's a very modestly priced little box and the finger was itching.

These days if I get itchy I go for a walk, that seems to keep the compulsive buying desires at bay. But I do like a small form factor amplifier.

A PFM member pm’d me to ask my comparison of the Io to my other Brit/small-form integrateds that I currently own: Nait1, Cyrus 1, Sugden A21, Linn Majik-i, orig. Sugden A21, (Brit-designed) NAD 3020a. These have all been recapped, except for the Linn and the NAD. This is what I sent him (with some additions), some might find it useful in this thread. Pardon the lower case drama.

“the nait 1 has a very propulsive sound and has grip on the notes but not in a controlling way. music just pours out with sympathetic speakers. i think the core of its character comes from the midbass to the lower midrange. the io has the same control on the notes but a softer grip, its more of a flow that comes out of the speakers, but its no less grippy or impactful. its character i think comes from its smooth mid midrange to the low treble, sounding almost sweet, and it allows more of the character of the source to come through whereas the nait 1 impose a lot of its character on the source component. the io also has more breathing room power-wise (its push) than the nait 1 which can turn harsh when pushed. hope that helps. the cyrus1 has less of a distinct character than the nait (good or bad) but definitely has the most slam/macro dynamics of the three, sounding a bit like a powerhouse american class ab amp. the sugden a21 has all the earmarks of a class a ss amp. almost tube-like but has strenghs of its own. the 3020 (and the majik-i, to a certain extent) is like a swiss knife. on some speakers, you can live with it as your one amp, its a very friendly sounding amp. and the impression of power delivery is impressive for a 20-watter. if you ask me to rank them....i wouldn’t be able to. luckily, i can afford to (none are too expensive) keep all of them.”

I found myself with some time recently and have now compared the Io again to a Linsley Hood 1969, an Aleph J clone, and a 300B SET amp into Reference 3a De Capo-i’s. They all have their strengths again, all three subjectively better than the Io in most respects while listening to them. I put the Io back in…and I got a grin on my face, thinking, shit I can live with this!

I'd be interested to hear how the IO compares to the Brio (sonically) - anyone made this comparison?

Rega would not make an 'inferior' product that costs more but the Swiss made casing and nice volume knob must contribute to cost as does the good quality relay switching.

20 Watts difference doesn't sound like much but every little helps.

I can only guess that it sounds slightly more detailed and powerful but perhaps slightly less 'warm' (diffuse?) which suits budget speakers (and jaded Audiophiles) better?

... Nait1, Cyrus 1, Sugden A21, Linn Majik-i, orig. Sugden A21, (Brit-designed) NAD 3020a.

Which Cyrus 1? Original from 1980s, the cheaper version of Cryrus 3 (~late 1990s) or the latest (late 2010s)?

I believe it’s the original, the one with the word “Mission” etched on the bottom of the amp case.

IO Landed this morning.

So small - I was expecting Cyrus dimensions but this is much smaller.
Looks lovely, cute little box and very solid. Will fire-up this evening for a first listen with the Ania Pro cartridge into the IO phono input via a trusty old AT transformer.

IO Landed this morning.

So small - I was expecting Cyrus dimensions but this is much smaller.
Looks lovely, cute little box and very solid. Will fire-up this evening for a first listen with the Ania Pro cartridge into the IO phono input via a trusty old AT transformer.

Robert, Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the ickle Rega io :)

Popped out and picked up an Rega io this afternoon whilst in the shop I also snagged a used Planar 3, both for my office/music collection room.

The io is a really nice thing, sits very nice with the Planar 3 and original Rega Saturn CD player.

Strangely the supplied power cord (sealed box) does not fit the amp, bit of a head scratcher that one?

Popped out and picked up an Rega io this afternoon whilst in the shop I also snagged a used Planar 3, both for my office/music collection room.

The io is a really nice thing, sits very nice with the Planar 3 and original Rega Saturn CD player.

Strangely the supplied power cord (sealed box) does not fit the amp, bit of a head scratcher that one?
That is strange. Mine fit fine.

advertisement

Back