advertisement

Shed roof rant.

wylton

Naim and Mana member
My workshop at the top of the garden has developed a leaky roof & it's been raining really hard for the last few days. I need to get it fixed because I keep all of my tools & stuff up there & it's a great place to get away from the wife too. Easy, I thought to myself, go on-line and find a local tradesman, job done! I couldn't have been more wrong. Hours spent Googling and phoning to no avail. I thought people wanted work in these hard times, but apparently not!

My workshop at the top of the garden has developed a leaky roof & it's been raining really hard for the last few days. I need to get it fixed because I keep all of my tools & stuff up there & it's a great place to get away from the wife too. Easy, I thought to myself, go on-line and find a local tradesman, job done! I couldn't have been more wrong. Hours spent Googling and phoning to no avail. I thought people wanted work in these hard times, but apparently not!

Task Rabbit, depending where you are. They are expensive but for a small job, but they may be your best option. Make sure you pick someone with a long history of jobs, even if you pay more.

TaskRabbit - Same Day Handyman, Moving Services, Delivery & More

People also speak well of airtasker, but I don't have personal experience

10+ Best Rated & Trusted Tradesmen Near You | Airtasker

An alternative is to call local estate agents, introduce yourself and explain your problem, they may be able to put you on to someone they use for rentals.

All builders and tradespeople of all types are pretty much full to their necks in work right now.

This. I wouldn't take it personally.

A lot of domestic and personal business has been on hold for 9-12 months and consequently it's very difficult to get people to do work at the moment. Even if you get someone there could well be shortages of timber, plasterboard, plastics, cement, steel etc due to Covid. That's just the way it is. Though I appreciate that's not very helpful from the perspective of your shed roof!

You can get big sheets of damp proof membrane from toolstation etc for about £10 for 4m x 3m. I've coated a couple of walls of the shed down the allotment with it as they're rotten, but it's just the allotment shed, so this keeps it dry without spending too much. I reckon a sheet held on with roof felt nails would keep you going for now. (no idea how big your shed roof is of course)

Post us a pic?
I'm guessing its either an inner planking layer with roofing felt over that or ?
DITY is easier than you may think.
If it's felt, you can felt over the old stuff provided the inner timbers are not rotted.
If it's all rotted away, you can rip it off 9the hard work) and fit new Onduline to the existing inner structural timbers if they are in good nic. I've done both and neither is that hard if you have some DIY skills.

Might not have any choice...

For now; why don't you buy a huge tarp; double it over and seal the open ends with decent duct tape; lay that over the shed and weigh it down etc...

Temp fix; but should keep it water tight :)

Tarp is a good shout. I got a dark green, UV resistant tarp with eyelets dirt cheap as a temp fix for my Mum's shed, it stayed there about 2 years! It came off when the shed finally died and I reused it to roof her log store, it's still going strong!

You can buy whacking great big blue tarp from B and Q. Will do a shed roof with ease. Even comes with built in eyelets and some elastic bobbles to tie it with. Very useful thing to have around..

Do you have any little newsagents nearby, our local one often has handyman type ads in the window.

advertisement

Back