advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Equal parts outrageous and scary! Were it not for the acting AG’s pushback, there is no telling how bad it could have gotten. Also, unless there is real federal election reform, there’s nothing to stop it from happening again. There is a lot of attention being paid to voter suppression right now, but there’s an even bigger threat to US democracy. Several GOP-controlled states are changing their election laws to give the power to certify (or overturn) to their partisan legislatures. This would give them the legal authority to ignore the state’s popular vote, and nominate electors of their own choosing.

Several GOP-controlled states are changing their election laws to give the power to certify (or overturn) to their partisan legislatures. This would give them the legal authority to ignore the state’s popular vote, and nominate electors of their own choosing.

Or in some cases they've given power to certify or overturn to (partisan) judiciary.

So, when Trump or a Trump clone returns to the White House in 2025 after a suitably distorted election, s/he can settle down with fellow autocrat Putin (who, of course, will be in power forever), and they then can have a friendly chat and compare notes. Perhaps even form a club of autocrats, as there seem to be enough of them around - this democracy business seems to have had its day.

It will require Joe Manchin to get a grip on reality:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/06/politics/joe-manchin-for-the-people-act-voting-filibuster/index.html

"I believe that partisan voting legislation will destroy the already weakening binds of our democracy, and for that reason, I will vote against the For the People Act. Furthermore, I will not vote to weaken or eliminate the filibuster," Manchin, a moderate Democrat from West Virginia, wrote in an op-ed published in the Charleston Gazette.

I'd like to know what he's been smoking (or who's been paying him off).

I think the clue is in "paying" - take money out of US politics and we will see less corruption and fairer voting, and hopefully politicians who are interested in working for the benefit of the country rather than performing on TV.

Equal parts outrageous and scary! Were it not for the acting AG’s pushback, there is no telling how bad it could have gotten. Also, unless there is real federal election reform, there’s nothing to stop it from happening again. There is a lot of attention being paid to voter suppression right now, but there’s an even bigger threat to US democracy. Several GOP-controlled states are changing their election laws to give the power to certify (or overturn) to their partisan legislatures. This would give them the legal authority to ignore the state’s popular vote, and nominate electors of their own choosing.

Since the 2020 general election there's been a land-sale rush in red state legislatures to pass all sorts of sweeping right wing agenda items. In addition to voter suppression there's also been a rush to restrict or outlaw abortion. They seem to be in a hurry to create right wing facts on the ground. I suppose much of it is due to the changes in the US Supreme court, which is now a favorable environment if any of these right wing agenda issues are challenged in the judiciary. I also suspect that GOP leadership knows that the changing demographics across the country make this their last chance to impose their will.

Unfortunately the right and GOP have been busy rigging the system for decades.
They have crammed the judiciary at all levels with supporters, changed voter registration, moved the electoral borders, weaponised race, changed education curriculums, used media to normalise gun culture, increased cost of university education (affecting poor worst of course) made fundamentalist religion a base for their core support,etc.

advertisement

Back