advertisement

Do men drink cocktails?

I went through an amaretto sour phase when I was about 26 years old, but I got over it. Only cocktails I'll tolerate these days are G&T, mojito (only in the summer) or a gin martini.

I'm partial to a G&T, but the hate the girlie way it gets served nowadays. The gin should be served in a short glass with ice and a slice of lemon/lime/cucumber, with a bottle of tonic on the side. The presence of a straw is an abomination.

Anything less than a double is also nonsense.

I love my gin & tonic, but I don’t see that being a cocktail. Cocktails are for holidays in warmer climates where it has been known for me to enjoy the odd one or three.

Great to read some of these replies, most my life various mates and work colleagues have loved their beers or wine (generally cheap stuff) and I’ve never cared about it. My mates never cared either as I was always happy to drive. I permanently have beer in my fridge but I couldn’t tell you what it is, a mate drinks it when he stays, buys more and leaves it and knows maybe 1 day a year I’ll drink half a small bottle. But coffee is my thing, big time.

but pina colada, I’d probably be prepared to fight to guard it, lots of laughs. I don’t think I’ve had any for a few years but rum, pineapple, coconut, like a milk shake for grown ups. My alcohol in the house is usually for cooking.

beobloke, I’m genuinely interested to know your recipe if you’re happy to share it.

Lots of varied G and T s here every weekend. Mostly got around 10 gins on the go. Latest is Cornish Clotted Cream gin, with muddled Strawberry and slim line tonic. Mountains of ice in a big coupe.

I will never tire of Margaritas, although I rarely get the home ones just right. I like them straight up, although my new blender can make good crushed ice. Dacquiri type things are very easy to make with a good blender and some frozen fruit.

Friends have at least one boozy cocktail party every year. Plenty of men at those getting stuck in.

A Caipirinha with floor cleaner quality Cachaça and smashed limes for me. No point in wasting a fine Cachaça, a bit like putting ginger ale in a malt.

Vodka gimlet is my go to and maybe a mai tai if made correctly or by myself ( most places do a pretty poor effort IMO ).
Do B52 shooters count, love those!

Here in the vodka belt we just open a bottle, pass it around a couple of laps until it's empty, then open another one. When all has passed out no one remembers any taste anyway.

bloody Mary and variations of.

Slight dirty (1.5ml onion juice) but very dry (just kiss the ice with vermouth and pour away) Gibson. Garnish with Campari soaked onions (steep the onions in a 50:50 mix of Campari and the onion pickling liquid)

advertisement

Back