advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes sense as they had a the spike earlier on the hospitalisations and now deaths are starting to come through. I haven't yet looked today at new case data in the North West but it was being reported by the BBC this morning that the ONS data showed it had fallen a little.

That makes sense as they had a the spike earlier on the hospitalisations and now deaths are starting to come through. I haven't yet looked today at new case data in the North West but it was being reported by the BBC this morning that the ONS data showed it had fallen a little.

The growth is slowing perhaps in GM but it's still growing and spreading in every region.

11 007 cases today, 19 deaths and 188 admissions (15th)
I would like to say that is shocking, but then, I think a fair few here inc myself have come to expect precisely this.
All for the sake of not stopping trael to & back from a place where it was absolutely rampant and killing big numbers.
Completely inept government.
Thanks for keeping this up to date Gav.

Apparently 400,000 Germans have holidayed in Majorca over the last month, this will be spreading across Europe.

If we vaccinate & limit foreign travel there is still reasons for optimism.

80% of adults have now had first dose of vaccine according to the Guardian. That must mean that we're less than 10 weeks away from 80% of adults being fully vaccinated, with all the immunity that that can bring. That's one hell of an achievement and I find myself agreeing with Jacob Rees Mogg.

80% of adults have now had first dose of vaccine according to the Guardian. That must mean that we're less than 10 weeks away from 80% of adults being fully vaccinated, with all the immunity that that can bring. That's one hell of an achievement and I find myself agreeing with Jacob Rees Mogg.

If ever you find yourself agreeing with WR-M and it's not about relocating a business to Dublin to avoid your own policy, go have a lie down until it wears off.

They must be reasoning that even though delta is growing fast, the absolute number of delta infections will stay low over the summer -- in Autumn they will have many fully vaccinated people. This will give a breathing space to the people, and will help inject some cash into tourism. Still, it's hard for me to make sense of it, without actually seeing the detailed reasoning. No-one on French TV or Radio that I've seen is calling it into question, neither scientists nor politicians.

One thing I've read is that we've got it particularly bad in Britain because AZ is rubbish at controlling delta -- and we've used a lot of it. In the EU they won't have a hard time because they've hardly touched AZ. Here, for example

Covid-19 : progression du variant Delta, faut-il craindre un regain de l'épidémie ? - midilibre.fr

How come? Are we not all talking to each other, sharing data and ideas?

Mystery, presumably the media mouth the Government's message. They know what's happening in the UK, they seem to say there's nothing to worry about there -- relax, enjoy the summer. And the Government want to open up the country for political reasons (there's an election soon) and obvious economic ones.

Cases, hospital admissions are all low and going in the right direction.

They must be reasoning that even though delta is growing fast, the absolute number of delta infections will stay low over the summer -- in Autumn they will have many fully vaccinated people. This will give a breathing space to the people, and will help inject some cash into tourism. Still, it's hard for me to make sense of it, without actually seeing the detailed reasoning. No-one on French TV or Radio that I've seen is calling it into question, neither scientists nor politicians.

One thing I've read is that we've got it particularly bad in Britain because AZ is rubbish at controlling delta -- and we've used a lot of it. In the EU they won't have a hard time because they've hardly touched AZ. Here, for example

Covid-19 : progression du variant Delta, faut-il craindre un regain de l'épidémie ? - midilibre.fr
Hardly any difference between AZ & Phizer, about 3%, this will be massively offset by our higher vaccination rates.

Only time will tell.

A successful genius, in the same way perhaps that Trump was a stable genius, namely that neither of them is either of those things.
One wonders if Matt has invested his sister’s company’s Covid takings in Jacob’s investment fund perhaps? Both are clearly very stable geniuses.

Some interesting stats from PHE, published on the BBC web site, for those that may have missed it:

"A total of 806 people in England have been admitted to hospital with the Delta variant of Covid-19 as of 14 June, new figures show.

This is a rise of 423 on the previous week, according to the data from Public Health England.

Of the 806 hospitalisations:

• 527 (65%) people were unvaccinated
  • 135 (17%) were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine
  • 84 (10%) were more than 14 days after their second dose.
As of 14 June, there have been 73 deaths in England of people who were confirmed as having the Delta variant and who died within 28 days of a positive test.

Of the 73 deaths:

• 34 (47%) were unvaccinated
  • 10 (14%) were more than 21 days after their first dose of vaccine
  • 26 (36%) were more than 14 days after their second dose."

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back