advertisement

Do men drink cocktails?

Prefer classic Naval approach to Pink gin over martinis and G&T.

Good rum doesn't need anything. Maybe a dash of lime, or water, depending.

However Vodka is just blotto juice and best-used ... to run Mamods.

Before anyone asks, no, I haven't photoshopped the following screenshot:
51254317449_da48fe0635_b.jpg

Negroni - equal measures of gin, martini Rossi and Campari, loads of ice
Or my favourite
Boulevardier - equal measures bourbon, martini Rossi and Campari, loads of ice.
Friday night always starts with a boulevardier or two.

Old Fashioned
Long Island Iced Tea (though these caused a spectacular collapse into a market stall in Cambodia)
Gimlet
Margarita

I drink them occasionally. My preferred cocktails are a Mojito or a Rum Punch.

Have been known to have a Grand Marnier vin chaud or a Jaeger Tea when skiing.

We have some spirits in the house but never drink them, I think we bought them for guests and the occasional odd recipe but both are few and far between these days. I was thinking of trying a few cocktails to get rid of some (how long does vodka last in a bottle?) but being used to beer drinking one screwdriver would be gone in 5 - 10 minutes I’m sure and would use up most of my daily allowance of alcohol. Was just casually wondering if any fellas here do ever partake of a cocktail or two.

yep, as a sideline I used to act as a freelance cocktail designer to a number of cocktail bars in London

Had a few strawberry daiquiri cocktails on holidays, we were at a beach side bar and they were lovely and so fresh, also a few Mojito cocktails which are ok but looks like you have a weed in your glass, ah good times.

I dabbled a bit in the past, this wonky pic is from Dec2012/Jan2013

eschYLUh.jpg

Tried quite alot but using store bought cartons of fruit juice most quickly become sickly sweet when drinking.
Probably best to visit a good fruit and veg stall/shop and buy a mixed crate of grapefruit, oranges, lemons, limes and other easy to squash fruit and get pinapple, apple and the more difficult/time consuming fruit ready squished

Long Island Ice Tea, variations on G&T, Moscow Mule and Mojito are what I would tend to go for, they dont make your teeth feel like they are dissolving by the 4th sip.
Theres probably quite a few newer recipes that have surfaced in the past 8 years.

I stopped drinking about 5 years ago tho, having spent the previous 26 years drinking FAR too much...

Ah, so it’s OK for me to do a Del-boy then without losing my virility (actually that ship may have sailed).
Interestingly the Screwdriver, I read, should be stirred with an actual screwdriver to make it authentic; could anyone advise if a Philips or Flathead is better, I have both.

In my student days, when I couldn't stomach any more beer, I switched to Malibu, vodka and pineapple. Does that count?:D

Ah, so it’s OK for me to do a Del-boy then without losing my virility (actually that ship may have sailed).
Interestingly the Screwdriver, I read, should be stirred with an actual screwdriver to make it authentic; could anyone advise if a Philips or Flathead is better, I have both.

Beat me to the Del Boy connection

I like the famous Martini quote:
“One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough”
Old Fashioned for me please barman..

Or Dean Martin's Martini game: everyone drinks three Martinis and then takes it in turn to remember their own name.

After a gallon of Guinness I tend to get creative looking at the strange shaped coloured bottles behind the bar.

advertisement

Back