advertisement

Lockwood Tannoys

Not seen the model before. They look stylistically like Majors, but are way, way smaller!

So Tannoy gurus, what are they worth? Surrounds renewed, demagnetised, technical check carried out 6 weeks ago by "der Lautsprecher Manufaktur", receipt is available. I should get to audition them on Friday evening.

So Tannoy gurus, what are they worth? Surrounds renewed, demagnetised, technical check carried out 6 weeks ago by "der Lautsprecher Manufaktur", receipt is available. I should get to audition them on Friday evening.

2000 Euro I reckon.

They look like normal Majors to me. The Tannoys behind them and Classe amp are just massive I think.

They look a lot smaller to me, I’m thinking Berkley size. They also seem to be missing the lower section I associate with Majors. I can’t seem to google-up dimensions for an LE1. I can’t see anything less than the twin-driver Autograph dwarfing a pair of Majors like thar, and even if that was what the speakers behind were the size of the CDs on the table and electronics to the side seems wrong.

They look like normal Majors to me. The Tannoys behind them and Classe amp are just massive I think.

Yup. Those are Autographs at the back, about 1.6m or 1.7m if I recall correctly from when I had mine.

Personally I don't rate the Major as a cabinet. I had two vintage pairs (didn't keep either) and also bought (then returned) a Lockwood reissue made about 8-10 years ago. I don't think the aperiodic chamber design is a bad thing necessarily but I found the vintage construction a bit rickety and with 15in Monitor Golds, all of them sounded boomy to varying degrees, including the new ones which were not at all well braced or damped.

I guess there must be some solidly made pairs out there that have escaped the ravages of years of hard recording studio use without sounding clapped out, but personally I suspect the vast majority of survivors are past their best. I got them to see if I could improve on my DIY GRF cabs at the time, but ended up selling them on, keeping the GRFs and getting Russ Collinson to tidy them up instead - the GRFs do quickly run out of puff below about 50hz, but were far less one-note in the lower registers and not boomy at all - in fact they were incredibly delicate and controlled with subtle music, something none of the Majors I tried could be said to approach.

well somebody really wanted those, 4610 euro. It didn't work out for me to hear them, so I'll never know what I missed.

well somebody really wanted those, 4610 euro. It didn't work out for me to hear them, so I'll never know what I missed.
I'm a Tannoy enthusiast and owner but IMO that's too much money for those speakers... either that or I sold my Lockwood Majors MG15s far too cheaply!...

Last edited:

advertisement

Back