advertisement

How Much You Spent On Cables In Your System(s)

How Much You Spent On Cables In Your System(s)

• £250 - £500

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • £501 — £1,000

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • £1,001 - £2,000

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • £2,001 - £5,000

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • £5,001 - £10,000

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • > £10,000

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 0 - £250

Votes: 86 45.0%

• Total voters

ryder

pfm Member
Curious to know how much money people have invested in cabling.

Criteria ;
1. Cost is based on ACTUAL PRICE paid, not retail price
2. Types of cable include interconnects, speaker cables, power cords and digital cables etc.
3. To include all cables in multiple systems (where applicable) and unused cables kept in the closet or storeroom

Feel free to detail the cables in your system(s) as you wish. :D

I got my Black Rhodium loom (slightly pretentious term) whilst working at Sevenoaks. All I’ll say is, cables were the most profitable thing we sold.

I keep meaning to try a copper set of speaker cables soon, but never quite get round to it. The current set are deep frozen silver. At one stage, the retail cost of the cables far exceeded the kit they were plugged into!

About £400 all in. I’m for having nicely finished stuff, so Mark Grant got some business out of me a couple of years ago when I last did a major change to the main hifi. 2.5m mains cables from him are very nicely finished, and I don’t think too much to pay.

Significantly less than 250: balanced xlrs of various lengths from a music shop and prior to that, second hand NACA5

Including 10m pair of 4mm speaker cable, under £100.
That does not include Profi RCAs at £15 per pair of which there must be at least 10 pairs.

So total may scrape in your lowest option.

Off those currently in use, all my interconnects are second hand, mainly VdH stuff. Speaker cables and power leads are all "off the reel" VdH and Supra stuff, terminated by me. I doubt If I paid £200 for the whole lot.

I also have a large plastic carrier bag full of "spares", mainly ancient Monster and Chord cables and the like, all of which are perfectly decent and didn't cost very much, plus those skinny ones that came free with QUAD.

I doubt the whole lot would have come to more than £500, though I've noticed prices for new stuff going through the roof lately. I saw REL trying to charge £500 for what looked like a bog standard replacement sub-woofer high-level interconnect! The last one I made for myself cost £15.00 and most of the was the terminations.

You’ve set the bar too high :).

I have some ancient Exposure speaker cables, and some bargain Van Damme Interconnects, well under £100 total.

ICs are BCD (a branch of Audio Analogue) and I had them somewhere; speaker cables are Van Damme, 2 x 5 mt. 4 mm HiFi OFCs, €79,86 brand new terminated and shipped. Mains cords are the stock ones I found in the amp's and CDP's boxes.

Need option £0-100 & £100-250

Personally, around £250ish.
Over half the budget is for s/h VDH tone arm and phono stage to preamp cabling.
£60 for s/h 6mm Van Damme speaker cable.
£50 for s/h VDH RCA & XLR cabling s/h
£20 for s/h Canare XLR, free Furutech XLR and £20 Klotz XLR + various Van Damme XLR cabling.
More likely towards £300 actually. The idea of paying full price for anything other than the Van Damme cabling is scary, most is well north of £100 new:eek:
Some of the cabling that I have received as freebie seems incredibly generous sometimes almost costing more than the component I paid for:)

It would be interesting, maybe in another poll, to see what percentage of system price was spent on cables. I’ve just used DCSk (German) 2.5mm2 or 4mm2 speaker cables for the last few years, and whatever mains cables came with the system. Interconnects are nothing special. And my systems have been under 1.5k€ in the last few years, so the cables have been a small percentage of the total. If I wanted to tweak anything I would consider miniDSP or changing speakers before thinking of cables.

advertisement

Back