advertisement

White speaker recommendations

I’ve a pair of gloss white Elac BS 312s with Elac Stands OP, they’re in good condition, the speakers are in an aluminium enclosure one piece I think and they have the Elac Jet ribbon tweeter they’re 87db I think.

Lovely looking things but I don’t have the speaker locking plate the previous owner didn’t have those either so they must have been lost somewhere along the years.

I tried to source the plates and fixings but no joy I think you’d have to buy a new pair of stands to obtain them however the speakers are heavy and don’t move on the stands anyway so I gave up trying to find the fixings.

I’m thinking of selling them once I’ve had a chance to compare them with my other speakers (SB LS3/5a v2) with a power amp that I’ve just bought as the Elacs need a decent amp to sound their best.

Either way I’ll be moving one pair of speakers on and it will probably be the Elacs.

The BS 312s are still available new and with the Elac stands they retail at about £1900 I’d be looking at £600 plus postage.

From £430:(

And i know i will want them.
The speakers will still be in budget with the bases… they are very good though.

Also very good are Neat Motive SX1 and SX2 (SX1 are the larger, more expensive model, both are great, and both are available in an attractive satin white).

The speakers will still be in budget with the bases… they are very good though.

Also very good are Neat Motive SX1 and SX2 (SX1 are the larger, more expensive model, both are great, and both are available in an attractive satin white).

I'm going to give Peter Tyson a call in the morning see if they have stock locally that I could listen to.

I'm also going to give the Neat Ekstras a go to if Lintone have some stock.

I am really devoted to my Sugden A21SE so 88Db is the minimum sensitivity number I'm looking for.

I do love the look of the Toy Towers but would want to have a listen to any speaker before I commit.

From the title I thought this thread was going to be about white van speakers.

I'm going to give Peter Tyson a call in the morning see if they have stock locally that I could listen to.

I'm also going to give the Neat Ekstras a go to if Lintone have some stock.

I am really devoted to my Sugden A21SE so 88Db is the minimum sensitivity number I'm looking for.

I do love the look of the Toy Towers but would want to have a listen to any speaker before I commit.
It’s pretty imperative to listen to speakers before you buy if you’re buying new, particularly at that kind of money… I dropped that clanger a few years ago with some very pricey Focal speakers… let’s just say they weren’t for me.:oops:

I was going to mention the Ekstra, but refrained from doing so because if your stated budget, but they are an excellent speaker.

I keep thinking about a pair of Neat speakers to go on the end of my Naim system, but the Royds I have there sound so good for the £60 they cost, that it’ll take a bit of a leap of faith to spend a significant sum of money bettering them… and it will cost a significant sum to better them.

Neat and Kudos are two speaker manufacturers that keep grabbing my attention, Kudos are big money though.

It’s a shame Ruark stopped making proper speakers, I have a pair here now (Talisman 2s) and have had Crusaders too, they were always superb and fabulously built… I’d love to see what they would’ve produced if they hadn’t branched off into lifestyle products, they really knew how to finish a cabinet!

The small speakers that I will go to eventually are one of the Danish Jern models, small, discreet with terrific imaging and being cast iron enclosures quite unlike anything else out there.

It’s a shame Ruark stopped making proper speakers, I have a pair here now (Talisman 2s) and have had Crusaders too, they were always superb and fabulously built… I’d love to see what they would’ve produced if they hadn’t branched off into lifestyle products, they really knew how to finish a cabinet!

Agreed, they had their limits, but my Talismans did tough aggressive music like nothing else I've ever heard.

That said I wouldn't knock the life style products. We gave our daughter an Ruark R1 to take to University, ten years and what must be thousands of hours later, it is still her only audio system.

I always worry a bit about white speakers.

I have two pairs in white, Cambridge Audio Aeromax 6s, which aren't very old, or at least, have only recently been out of the box. They look nice, although comparing them with Aero 6s, side by side, the white makes them look bigger than the almost identically sized Aero 6s in traditional non specific matt fake brown wood.

I also have some white Boston A25s. Or, at least, they were white. 7-8 years in they very much look like they've lived with someone who smoked 60 a day. But I don't, they actually live on a while Ikea wardrobe which is still white and the contrast is stark.

Buchardt S400? I have the a500 in white, they're not half bad. w1.jpg

They are interesting.

Unfortunately he is out of stock in white and, because there is no dealer network, I'd need buy and import before I could listen to them. Add in the cost of stands before I could properly test and the pain of returns if we did not get on and that's a potential vale of tears. Doing all of that post Brexit probably makes it times two.

Strangely though I'm still interested.

I’ve got the A500s, and am thoroughly enjoying them!
Receiving them (in April/May this year) was painless. I’m using some B&W DM2 as stands until I settle on something more appropriate; I’ll do the tuning, room correction, etc. at that point.
A friend of mine got some at the same time and isn’t happy with them - they don’t work in his room, we tested mine there, and his at mine, it’s definitely the room - so they’ll get boxed up and sent back at Buchardt’s cost.

That there aren’t any in stock is, sadly, another issue altogether!! Could you get some other speakers re-finished in white? For the cost you might be able to get some speakers you know and enjoy modded to fit with the decor?

I have Dynaudio Excite 14’s in a slightly glossy white finish. They are discontinued I think but the finish is remarkably durable, the best I have had on any speaker I have owned. They sound great with the Naim Atom driving them too!

So I assume newer Dynaudios would use a similar finish and would be worth checking out.

ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures come in a very nice flat white satin, which is very tough and has no trace of woodiness. They’d go nicely with some white Custom Design stands.

Scansonic M6
U-0bAoCKV5Xl9fI_iE57bn5PhAsJWQvzgbukdTJxxyD485JKZO5RIID_NYK1dASCwriJyhMTP_LQwti3bMDeLxPTlWgmPj17NURDJG2PICiJFi9ss2H7ypLoQKk

advertisement

Back