advertisement

IEC connections should be tight - or should they?

monya

pfm Member
Some of my mains cables have plugs that fit tighter than a Duck’s arse. Others are looser - by design. I’ve read that tight is good for transfer but I’ve also read that with snug fit connections that micro vibrations can travel up or down the cable which isn’t good. In which case ‘Floating’ design is best. So who’s correct? And does it matter?

Naim CDX2 has a floppy IEC socket. A tight fit with fancy thick mains cable insulation sounds bad for some reason. The basic Naim throw away flimsey cable wth cheap copper Furutech IEC plugs sounds the best, The Naim powerline IME ruins the classical music sound.

I remember a Shindo pre on which all connectors and valve bases floated! Changing valves scared crap out of me as you could tear bare silver hair thin wires, prob top of my fave pre’s but distinctly hairshirt.

Ruins…!

IME yes! The CDX2 sounds fine with classical music, not harsh, with the appropriate microphone cable interconnect. I love the powerful lively sound but the expensive Powerline mains cable makes the sound coarse. I have no idea why.

Naim's IEC sockets are a bit loose and wobbly by design, to the point where some people think they might have somehow worked loose, which is not the case. Their Powerline mains plugs and IECs are also decoupled and wobbly (as are some of their interconnect DIN plugs). The actual electrical contact is the opposite though. The jaws that grip the pins in a Powerline IEC are as tight as the regs allow them to be, and require a good hard shove to get them in.

advertisement

Back