advertisement

Heed Obelisk Integrated Amp

greg788

pfm Member
I'm looking for feedback and opinions on the Obelisk, especially direct comparisons to other amps and dissenting views. I have the opportunity to buy the current model (Si III) and need to decide quickly. I've searched the forum ad nauseum but would still like opinions and feedback since I can't demo this beforehand

I had the si and added the power pack and it reminded me of a nice valve amp, open with rich tone and plenty of bass but not the fastest amp.

I had one and it was very nice but my speakers did not do it justice and in my limited space...the Obelisk went but I can heartily recommend it...very good phono stage...plus it looked good....I didn't like the blue led though.

I'm looking for feedback and opinions on the Obelisk, especially direct comparisons to other amps and dissenting views. I have the opportunity to buy the current model (Si III) and need to decide quickly. I've searched the forum ad nauseum but would still like opinions and feedback since I can't demo this beforehand

Is this a 50 watt ?
What speakers to be used ?
I thought my old Obelisk missed a bit on power and dynamic, lovely natural tone though, not a hint of peak or brightness, a bit laid back.
Power helped when getting the sep. PSU.

A further development of the old ION amplifiers.
Very well build.

Can’t remember the power output but the extra PSU made it more powerful and the amp took a big leap forward. It was pretty good without it, mind, just a bit less applicable to a wide range of speakers and rooms.

I have a Heed Obelisk Mk2. Beautiful richness to the tone, really wonderful midrange, no hint of any harshness at all and plenty of heft, drives my Rega RX3’s really well.

I had an mkII. It was a very nice amp indeed and seriously good VFM. It was replaced by an Aurender that showed that the Heed added warmth / richness to the music. Maybe valve-like. That goes very well with certain types of music, but not all to my ears. The Aurender wasn't better (besides power), just different. I am still looking after best of both worlds...

I had an Obelisk PS and a pair of PMs, I believe both have similar amp topologies to the integrated Obelisk. Delivered a rich and smooth sound, warmish and good boogie factor. Never tiring to listen to but not as much detail as other amps I've owned.

advertisement

Back