advertisement

Rega power chord

Why did iec and kettle cord become the norm? Safety regs I assume, foreign markets etc.
much as I value after market cords it would seem better if a maker who valued quality wire fitted what pleased them in factory.

I don’t know the terminology too well but I like to be able to determine my own power, line, speaker etc lengths. Really dislike captive cables and the phono leads on Rega tables

Why did iec and kettle cord become the norm? Safety regs I assume, foreign markets etc.
Suitability for purpose.

Oh, you meant removable leads, didn't you?

Suitability for purpose plus major cost savings relative to soldered on leads and plugs that meet each foreign markets electrical standards. Simply drop the appropriate lead into the carton based upon voltage setting and destination country.

Of course, for a lot of makers, this has also become an avenue for up-sales of equally suitable for purpose leads that appear more posh.

Last edited:
I don’t know the terminology too well but I like to be able to determine my own power, line, speaker etc lengths. Really dislike captive cables and the phono leads on Rega tables
I was curious where it started, my cabling is a Ocd fest and foo nightmare.
Due in part too 50year old house wiring in my grade two listed barn being a noisy, confusing pain I’ve installed 3 radial lines from a new separate fuse box next to inlet to bypass house stuff. All done by my landlords registered sparky, with dates of safety checks recorded on box.
One each for tv, digital, analogue. It’s a cheap tweek/fix in comparison to a six figure stereo. The rest of wiring loom is kondo from mains plug to speaker, except usb as they don’t make them.

Well I had two of these, one on my Saturn and the other on my Elicit and it was one of the most cost effective upgrades I've made , especially bought second hand.

It easily opened up the mix and gave much greater insight into the performance. I remember hearing St. Vincent's Masseduction through it and was very pleasantly surprised at the difference made.

The proof is in the listening for me.

I have have never brought into powercords in the past.I do have quite alot of interconnect accumalated over 30 years.Cable talk,XLO and some silver cable.
I brought one of Rod's, Rega powercords from the classifieds here for £70 (He's a great guy to deal with - A true gent ).
I did this as I had a Rega Aria phono stage arriving a couple of weeks later and thought why not ? - It will be an interesting try out if nothing else.
When the Rega cable arrived I stuck it on my IO as the Aria still hadn't arrived.
Have to say the little IO sounded superb with the cable on it with main source being a LP12.
Just seemed to tighten the sound up.The Aria is here and I still haven't tried it on that as the IO is sounding so good.

We provide perfectly adequate and appropriate mains leads with all of our electronics, we are aware however that some people may like to change the aforementioned lead for something different, so we employ an IEC socket rather than captive lead to allow them to do so without comment, recommendation or necessary approval.

We also offer a better quality (in terms of mains and IEC plugs and shielded cable) lead for people who like to investigate a different lead and they can then come to their own conclusion as to the benefits or otherwise of such replacement.

Now there's a diplomat.

Good answer Paul ;)

I don't believe that power leads, provided they match or exceed the power requirements of the kit they feed, make the slightest difference to anything. However, that doesn't stop me using nice pale blue Supra mains cables just in case, and to show I care :)

I don't believe that power leads, provided they match or exceed the power requirements of the kit they feed, make the slightest difference to anything. However, that doesn't stop me using nice pale blue Supra mains cables just in case, and to show I care :)

Being the insufferable mains cable skeptic I am, some posts make me think of The Emperor's New Clothes. Your post is like the story with a twist: the emperor knows he's naked and just prefers it that way. :)

advertisement

Back