advertisement

Naim XS2 replacing Lavardin IS Ref

Midland audio have sold lavardin for years , it's well known John loves them . Someone I know has just bought lavardin speakers and on another forum someone has bought a isx reference and loves it

I like amps which have dealers who don't dump the brand , certainly enjoyed my time with lavardin and would have another here anytime with my horns

Never intended to come across as arrogant just my point of view and it’s all subjective to the individual and to the system and environment
Musical choices and material played anyone who has been to MAX and who knows me personally wouldn’t say I come across in that way
I help a lot of people less fortunate than some of us get In to affordable audio and high quality reproduction of music
Naim audio and Lavardin aside let’s not forget some of the super sounding vintage items that make mincemeat of both brands
But haters are gonna hate no matter what
agreed 100% . I hope to try some prima luna from max sometime as a local dealer to me who I have bought kit from in past

By that argument, any dealer is a shill. That’s absurd. And what about people with something to sell in the classifieds? If they discuss its virtues in a thread, are they shills too?

Usually, they abstain from slagging others’ products. In contrast to the present situation.

This thread reminds me of a review of the Chord Signature TA interconnects which I made on this forum several years ago. Some people on this forum accused me of getting paid by Chord for posting the review, which I find rather amusing. I bought the Chord cables with my own money and I have no affiliation with anyone from the company at all.

And I'm not even a dealer. :cool:

I find some of the responses here to be a bit critical but it's all good. We see these same responses all the time on any other thread. Obviously can't please everyone.

The issue, pure and simple, is that as a dealer, you have horses in the race.
Your “point of view” is extremely likely to be biased. Nothing more, or less, than that.

Make that distributor in this case, that's double the margin average, so quite a bit of profit to be made on this particular donkey.

By that argument, any dealer is a shill. That’s absurd. And what about people with something to sell in the classifieds? If they discuss its virtues in a thread, are they shills too?

Perhaps not a 'shill' but pretty upfront promotion of a product where the dealer is also the distributor and has much more to gain with regard to a monetary aspect.

Quite often we'll see , read or even take part in long winded threads which are nothing more than an elaborate precursor to the forthcoming classified ads, this is not a shill either just (I guess) a clever way of making more forum members aware than usually read the classifieds that the forum member is 'downsizing' , minimising box count, moving house or has discovered the next great player, amp or speakers, etc.

As for Lavardin's amps, nice minimalist design, sketchy past with regard to potted components making the amp a non repairable product, I've heard two, the original IT and the later smaller IS, both sounded very like the YBA IDT, smooth but not warm, lacking in bass? or perhaps just a little polite sounding IMHO.

Usually, they abstain from slagging others’ products. In contrast to the present situation.

something I never do or have done
I’m transparent
I don’t hide the fact I’m a dealer in fact I hardly post in the main forum
But when is see statements that are complete and utter tosh I had to comment
But again and again I ask myself why do I bother
I tell you why I am first and foremost a audio enthusiast and have been from the age of 7 when my uncles Quad system completely blew my mind
Then at the tender age of 16 being presented with a Revox A77 for my birthday to top off my system that comprised of Thorens Quad and B+W realised I needed something more
And started my own PA company and was very successful for 8 years and worked with many major acts live and studio
Joining West midland audio in 1984 and working with Pete until 1995 where I set up MAX and until present
Credentials enough for me to be called all the names under the sun by people who hide behind pseudonyms that so that don’t want to be accountable for what they say on an open forum
But hey I got big shoulders and after all those years dealing with bigger assholes it’s a walk in the park

Please keep posting!
We have lost other industry figures on here because they just cannot be bothered with the hassle they get from some people.

I take everybody's opinion as just that, unless I know for sure that they hear things the way I do. And that includes dealers, reviewers and other industry people. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading their views though! (As long as it's not repeated ad infinitum like one particular dealer used to do).

However it's not good form to post about great sounding vintage kit and then not tell us what (you think) they are! :)

Having had a few Laverdin's here over the years, with the right speakers they sound very good indeed. Certainly better than any Naim amplifier I have ever heard, or used here...

Well quite. I’ve twice been accused of a lack of objectivity on this thread but realistically if you want to do anything better than any aspect of the Lavardin then you’re looking at Naim separates at minimum and 300 and above type systems.

something I never do or have done
I’m transparent
I don’t hide the fact I’m a dealer in fact I hardly post in the main forum
But when is see statements that are complete and utter tosh I had to comment
But again and again I ask myself why do I bother
I tell you why I am first and foremost a audio enthusiast and have been from the age of 7 when my uncles Quad system completely blew my mind
Then at the tender age of 16 being presented with a Revox A77 for my birthday to top off my system that comprised of Thorens Quad and B+W realised I needed something more
And started my own PA company and was very successful for 8 years and worked with many major acts live and studio
Joining West midland audio in 1984 and working with Pete until 1995 where I set up MAX and until present
Credentials enough for me to be called all the names under the sun by people who hide behind pseudonyms that so that don’t want to be accountable for what they say on an open forum
But hey I got big shoulders and after all those years dealing with bigger assholes it’s a walk in the park
So for you people with other impressions are writing tosh and are assholes and you really wonder why I had the impression that you are arrogant?

Well quite. I’ve twice been accused of a lack of objectivity on this thread but realistically if you want to do anything better than any aspect of the Lavardin then you’re looking at Naim separates at minimum and 300 and above type systems.
No you haven't been accused twice for a lack of objectivity, you have been told that your opinion isn't objective, it is subjective but you still don't get it as the rest of your post have showed impressively. I'm not writing it again why because I have done it twice and you didn't understand what people are saying to you nor you will, at least that is my impression.

Last edited:
So for you people with other impressions are writing tosh and are assholes and you really wonder why I had the impression that you are arrogant?

It has become fairly obvious that the bigger problem here is that you enjoy an environment in which you express your opinion and all around bow down. You can pick apart any poster on here for “something” should you wish to do so. Go ahead, fill your boots. You have done so far. Cheap shots and personal insults aside, highlighting the theoretical weak points of other people does not in itself strengthen your own arguments. Trying to argue that a mid range Naim integrated comes near a Lavardin whilst refusing to acknowledge there could possibly be anything wrong with that assertion is making you look a tad silly rather than a long established well-respected dealer. your best argument so far is “other people agree with me”. It’s pitched at the level of a 10 year old having a tantrum.

You live in a world where any opinion that isn’t years can’t be objective and all opinion is subjective. Out in the real world there is opinion which is fact and opinion which is not.

No skin in the game here. Never set foot in their shop. Never spoken to them. Did email an enquiry about Lavardin before the opportunity to listen elsewhere came up. There you go, total transparency. Bottom line, I’ve heard nothing in ideal conditions and I would choose neither. The Lavardin however is a superior beast in all respects. I would get a hearing test.

Ive had the IS IS ref and two ITs over the years. I really enjoyed the first IT i had which was an original model from when the founder of Lavardin was still around. The second IT I had was a later model and went into essentially the same system but was never as magical as my first experience. This could have been due to other things like altered speaker placement or a different setting on the Uno horns subs so cannot attribute the difference completely to the newer amp.
All that said I enjoyed my time with each amp the IS was good the IS ref better the IT was fab. Never owned Naim gear but have a friend with a full Naim setup and that sounds good too. Only your ears rest of system etc will dictate which you prefer.

No you haven't been accused twice for a lack of objectivity, you have been told that your opinion isn't objective, it is subjective but you still don't get it as the rest of you post have showed impressively. I'm not writing it again why because I have done it twice and you didn't understand what people are saying to you nor you will, at least that is my impression.
Well Mr Shatterhand (really?) or as we’re becoming friends now can I call you “Old”
Still you know I am a arrogant and a condescending money grabbing dealer
I and others still don’t really know who you are and your credentials
You know mine
But a Lavardin ISX reference is a much better sounding amplifier than a Naim ns5xs2 in my humble opinion
PS love to meet up sometime and have a good face to face chat

Don’t be silly @Midlandaudiox. Keyboard warriors never want to meet in person. They are cowards who are happy to pick apart the views of others whilst never acknowledging the built in hypocrisies of their own views.

Reactions: GT

advertisement

Back