advertisement

Oasis eviscerated

I scored an Oasis cd in a charity shop, like, never would ‘ave bought it full price, know what I mean, I thought it was the good ‘un, know what I mean, but it was the one before, or maybe after, I dunno man, know what I mean. They all look the same. Load of sh!te, gobby bloke shoutin’ ‘is way through some ‘orrible toons. Just a noise man, know what I mean. I did blag the good album in another shop next week, some good toons on that one man, know what I mean.

Was never much of a fan myself. Some tracks I liked, but many I really didn't, and the lyrics I felt were more often than not a bit lazy, or just plain poor. Never got on with Liam's voice either (or anything else about him for that matter). The album I listened to most was The Masterplan, which is all B sides.

I remember seeing Noel on telly playing Wonderwall on an acoustic, before it was released and I think maybe the first time he'd ever played it. It may have been the same programme where he ordered a Wellergram (HMHB) on Half The World Away? Great track I thought, then I heard the band/Liam version. No thanks. 'All the lights that light the way' (Noel sang 'lead the way') still narks me each time I hear it.

Saw them live in Bangkok in 2001 and thought they were pants. Hadn't been taking notice for a few years before then but took even less after.

I’ve no particular axe to grind for the bros. Gallagher. For a few months in 1996 I thought they were quite good fun, not to be taken too seriously. But that article is a complete crock of snobbish shite. ‘Coprophage’ FFS! Interesting he castigates the Gallagher siblings for racism and sexism yet sees no irony in using the C word.

Hard to understand the antipathy towards Oasis here. How many of you were teenagers/ early 20’s in the mid-90’s? Comparisons to 60’s bands like the Beatles don’t make sense from the perspective of someone who was young and excited by the music at the time. The Beatles were the band your parents listened to! Oasis (& Blur) brought an energy and sense of anticipation much lacking at the time. Yes, the Gallagher’s were a bunch of w***ers but their music resonated with a certain age group and probably still does (only the first 2 albums?).
I did go to Knebworth in ‘96 and it was an astounding experience. 250,000 people singing along to songs that weren’t actually released yet. You don’t get that very often. And before anyone jumps down my throat I’m now nearly 70 and my experience of the band was from the perspective of selling bucketloads of their records and working with their Record Company.
(Posts reply and waits for explosion to follow :eek:)

I was 22 when their first album came out. TBH, for all the ranting, I remember thinking that Supersonic and some of that album was great. I saw them at Glastonbury in 94 and 95 at what was supposed to be their peak. I was a bit wasted for their first appearance and was definitley not blown away, but their second apperance headlining on the pyramid stage they failed to even live up to the Happy Mondays lead-in tape. We wandered off to watch Speed and take drugs in the cinema tent after two songs. I guess it's all down to personal taste. Since then they have not aged well, but, then, neither have Galliano and I used to love them, too.

The first album was an absolute breath of fresh air after Madchester the rock / dance crossover brigade, Goth and Shoegaze all started to run out of steam. "Rock and Roll Star" is IMHO still one of the most impressive opening tracks on an LP. The problem was, all successive albums just showed they were one trick ponies and they'd used all of their influences up on that first album. Oasis started up as the saviours of Madchester and the fathers of Britpop and just ended up being music for plasterers.

The first album was an absolute breath of fresh air after Madchester the rock / dance crossover brigade, Goth and Shoegaze all started to run out of steam. "Rock and Roll Star" is IMHO still one of the most impressive opening tracks on an LP. The problem was, all successive albums just showed they were one trick ponies and they'd used all of their influences up on that first album. Oasis started up as the saviours of Madchester and the fathers of Britpop and just ended up being music for plasterers.
As a plasterer I have to disagree I'd rather listen to Charles Mingus than oasis, music for bricklayers more like.:)

Well, someone I've never heard of does not like Oasis whom I have. Always preferred Oasis to Blur but that's not really saying much.
Forever grateful to Oasis for saving the world from wall to wall Blur.

I own Supersonic and that's it. It's a decent debut single. I was DJ-ing at a well known local indie club during the mid 90s and of all the usual Britpop suspects around at that time (Blur, Supergrass, Pulp, Elastica, Suede), Oasis didn't really get played that much. It was the sound of the 'lads' pubs in town, it wasn't what most of the indie kids were listening to, or if they were, they weren't asking for it to be played.

In terms of the 'new' music we were playing at the time, from memory it was more stuff like Black Grape, Super Furry Animals, 3 Colours Red, Ash, Primal Scream, Bluetones, Mansun, Catatonia, Embrace, Bis, Shed Seven, Marion, Monaco etc all mixed in with Prodigy, Underworld, Leftfield, Renegade Soundwave, Early Fatboy Slim, Lionrock plus stuff like Stereolab, Beck, Pavement, Weezer and very early nu-metal/pop-punk stuff.

In terms of the 'new' music we were playing at the time, from memory it was more stuff like Black Grape, Super Furry Animals, 3 Colours Red, Ash, Primal Scream, Bluetones, Mansun, Catatonia, Embrace, Bis, Shed Seven, Marion, Monaco etc all mixed in with Prodigy, Underworld, Leftfield, Renegade Soundwave, Early Fatboy Slim, Lionrock plus stuff like Stereolab, Beck, Pavement, Weezer and very early nu-metal/pop-punk stuff.

At the time Oasis were very much played alongside all those in every club I went to in Manchester, London, Leeds, Edinburgh and Dundee. Remember it was before all the revisionists and purists turned up and announced them to have always been rubbish because of the Gallaghers’ comments and behaviour post-millennium.

I liked Oasis and Brit Pop was the last time there was anything worth listening to in the charts. In fact Brit Pop and Madchester was bloody marvellous!! And now we have complete shite like Dua lipa, Beyonce, Drake, Lady Gaga, The weak-end (insert name of anything currently in top 50... prob "feat" something or other) etc etc...

"have yer heard the new one by "any on the above etc"? ME: "Does it by any chance go thump, thump, thump ,thump over a max of 3 chords in a completely and utterly predictable way just as every other track they made/will make does? :D:rolleyes:

Yours, a dinosaur/OAP etc etc :p

Agreed. There was (as there always is without exception) so much amazing stuff going. For me that period was all about Warp Records AI (Black Dog, Aphex, Speedy J, Autechre etc), Tresor, Superstition (Spicelab, LSG etc), Leftfield, FSOL, Underworld, Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Goldie, the start of post-rock with Stereolab, Tortoise, Sigur Ros etc, plus Americana such as Eels, Giant Sand, Calexico etc, plus whatever Radiohead and Flaming Lips are (prog rock?!). There was a lot of interesting stuff bubbling under in Germany and Japan too e.g. Kitty Yo records, Cornelius etc. Oasis and much of Brit Pop struck me as retro pub-rock bands and I was just nowhere even remotely near that scene. They didn’t sound new when they were current!

I hated Oasis long before it was it was fashionable.

You chip 'em over, I'll nod 'em in.

HMHB - Lock Up Your Mountain Bikes
(to the tune of She'll Be Coming 'Round The Mountain)

Oh before the gods that made the gods were born
Yes before the gods that made the gods were born
Yes before the gods that made the gods
Woke up and made the gods
That’s when you got into
That’s when you got into
Yeah that’s when you first got into the Manics

ISTR Martin Carr of The Boo Radleys being miffed at being lumped in as part of Britpop. Sadly, the group went into auto-destruct mode, possibly partly as a result. Here's an ancient BBC report shortly after the split:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4134418.stm

"I tried to have nothing to do with what was being called Britpop. Our whole career was spent trying not to 'fit in'. We just carried on doing what we had been doing.

"I didn't like most of the new bands or the flag-waving. I didn't like New Labour or idolise Paul Weller and I hated media-generated movements within music."

You chip 'em over, I'll nod 'em in.

HMHB - Lock Up Your Mountain Bikes
(to the tune of She'll Be Coming 'Round The Mountain)

Oh before the gods that made the gods were born
Yes before the gods that made the gods were born
Yes before the gods that made the gods
Woke up and made the gods
That’s when you got into
That’s when you got into
Yeah that’s when you first got into the Manics

I see your Manics and raise you with:

Thy Damnation Slumbereth Not

There’s a Britpop refugee
Walking up to me
And his face is hollow from seasons of disappointment