advertisement

Make your own website?

JMRead

DIY Bodger
Hello all,

Rip Off - most places are - I pay 1&1 Ionos £12 PA for a domain hosting with address privacy.
I use NoSupportLinuxHosting to host my websites $1 per month per website with free SSL. One can send them support messages to be ignored if one wishes.

I use Kompozer to author the sites and FTP Surfer to load them to NSLH's server, both free.
Komp01.jpg

This is to be my new photo site, the domain had just become available again after being used by a trickcyclist in CA, just the index page so far. https://www.jmread.co.uk

Doing it yourself you can alter stuff in seconds and not get a nasty popup asking for more money.

Cheers - J

Even cheaper (for the first year anyway) - get an Amazon AWS developer account, and you get free hosting and some free bandwidth. Charges apply if you exceed the free limits, and after the first year.

Hello PD,

That sounds like a very good deal, I've been with 1&1 for years so I'm used to them. For new subscribers they do £12.00 for 2 years. It's easy to change DNS numbers and unlike a lot of others you don't have to pay for WhoIs privacy. With NoSupportLinux you get; each website in your account can use up to 1GB of disk space and 30GB of monthly bandwidth.

Cheers - J

$1 per month is expensive if you are after cheap hosting. :)

Buyshared https://buyshared.net/ cheapest package is only $8 for a full year and incudes a dedicated IP address and SSL.
Not much use for an e-commerce site but ideal for a hobby site or small business etc.

https://buyshared.net/shared-cpanel-hosting/

Choose buyshared Luxembourg server if in UK as is the nearest server they have.

Learn wordpress as it's free and will work on mobile, handwritten HTML will be a challenge to get to work on a mobile effectively.

Good luck.

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for your input I'm grateful to you. I agree that what is on offer there is a very good bargain indeed.

I am not actually after hosting I thought someone who might want to find out how they could make a simple web site for themselves would be interested in learning how. In which case I would offer to do a series of screencasts as MP4's to help anyone. No code involved merely the use of Kompozer.

I realise now that I should have made that plainer in my opening post, please do accept my sincere apologies, I do hope I haven't wasted your time.

Cheers - J

What are the best recommendations for a website numpty?
Not a clue how to create one etc.
I have used Wix free before which was ok...ish.
Wix Premium is approx. £100 per year for a full site.
The thought of learning HTML or similar to work from scratch is not attractive.

The needs would be a multi page site, url connected email, kit-style construction, url redirect (old nasty site) or even incorporate existing url and email. Payment page is optional but desirable.

If there are any peeps out there that have made a successful site from wix or similar, please offer your thoughts, recommendations, experiences, do's n dont's etc.

Long and short is wix, squarespace, worldpress, etc all require a substantial amount of input from the user, the website wont fall together. No programming experience is necessary but equally its going to take a fair few hours to twiddle with it and get it how you want it.

I use Adobe MUSE, but that's being discontinued for some reason which is a shame as it appears to be one of the last desktop apps you can get for building a website rather than doing it on line, but again you have to sit with it for a fair few hours to get anything out of it.

Hello CC and Hello Gary,

Learning Kompozer would benefit you both, if you can use a wordprocessor then you will be 1/2 way there.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kompozer/

Yes it does take some hours to learn how to use it, but, you only have to do that once.
Make a good Index page and 'save as' to make all your other pages, as many as you like, this is going to be mine with about 30 pages behind it: https://www.jmread.co.uk/

Once learned all you have to rely on is your own expertise, not someone else's.

Cheers and good luck - J

Hi JR, (Not in oil are you ;) )

I visited your site from my android phone via FF. It does not seem to be mobile friendly or was that not a goal?

Hello C,

Your quite right I stopped concerning myself about phones a few years ago. I had my first video screening at a Gallery in Sheffield, there were lots of media students there from the Uni across the road. I produced my 20 yr old phone to contact my wife and said sorry being an old fogie I still use this. They laughed and produced similar old phones explaining that they thought 'smart' phones were a waste of time and money. They said they would rather build a PC from the parts with the money.

Hello Gary,

The red lines you can see in the screen capture are table borders much like any word processor.

If you looked at the index page and thought the images were in a separate frames, they are not, it's merely a cycling slide show. The JQuery code is a text file uploaded to the hosts server and the page code is quite simple. You would be very welcome to the code, it's given away freely by the author.

Cheers both - J

C ... Not much to do with oil apart from sharpening simple tools :)

[edit] Post script,

For years and years I've used Blogspot for odds and ends, recently I noticed they've made it much more configerable. One can almost turn it into a web site, by disabling all the bloggish stuff. I happened upon some bus timetables and realised it was a blogspot blog, that's what made me look again.

The SEO is very good as well providing you tweak the Meta Tags.

https://ogaugemicro.blogspot.com/
and
https://frugelgain.blogspot.com/

Cheers - J

Well I suppose if you just want to share your website with your family its ok, but if you want to reach an audience you will have to acknowledge 70% access websites by phone now.

Last edited:
Well I suppose if you just want to share your website with your family its ok, but if you want to reach an audience you will have so acknowledge 70% access websites by phone now.
They do indeed. Most people i I know don't use a computer for basic surfing, ebay, Amazon etc, they just whip a phone out. As for expensive, hardly. I have a Nokia 1, £50. Other basic smartphones are under £100.

Hello Gary and Hello Steve,

Many thanks for your comments, I completely agree with you both.
You may have both noticed that the price of laptops has descended rapidly over the last ten years, each year a higher spec at the same £200 to £300 price.

Why?

The first reason is that more are being sold so the factories that make them can afford to buy bespoke machines to manufacture the parts.
The second is that the people who buy them will find sites using their phones (as you rightly state Steve) and look at them properly on their laptops when they are at home.
Also one must bear in mind break times at work, when workers use their PC's to look up stuff.
The stats from previous and similar web sites that I have authored bear this out when looking at the operating systems and browsers that people use. Judicious use of Meta Tags realises visitors from all over the world and high rankings from search terms.

Cheers both - J

I'm bumping this thread as I'm looking for a cheap website hosting package. I just want a basic service, with 1 or maybe a few pages.

Some of the suggestions above no longer seem to be available (buyshared etc).

Something easy to setup and doesn't need programming would be beneficial. I can learn Wordpress of such as needed.

advertisement

Back