advertisement

Integrated amplifiers with built-in streamer.

gerlando

Prog Rocker
In order to reduce the number of boxes in my hifi system, what is your opinion on integrated amplifiers with built-in streamer, such as Quad Vena Play, Audiolab 6000N, Cyrus One, Naim UnitiQute 2 or Hegel H90/H95?

Thank you.
Mauro

Depends what you want, they are never gonna set your world alight if you used to high end separate components, but then the same could be said by someone using monoblocks over an integrated.

I found the cheaper ones just a bit boxy, fairly standard, decent, nothing special.

These types of amplifiers are everywhere, so getting a demo should be fairly easy. Look towards something like a Naim Uniti Nova to get something with a bit more punch.

In order to reduce the number of boxes in my hifi system, what is your opinion on integrated amplifiers with built-in streamer, such as Quad Vena Play, Audiolab 6000N, Cyrus One, Naim UnitiQute 2 or Hegel H90/H95?

Thank you.
Mauro
Make sure you check out the Apps you can use with it, some of the supplied ones are dire. I’d go with a Pi or Bluesound Node into a normal integrated amp personally, that’s based on having had a few all in ones including a couple of high end units such as the Lyngdorf 3400.

What streaming service and interface do you use?
If you are networked with ethernet and streaming is your main source say through Spotify, then a Hegel would be my recommendation as there are less compromises than the others on your list IMO.

If you want added feature set - Wifi and Bluetooth then a used Uniti Atom would be nice.

For a full feature set, then one of the others on your list would fit the bill nicely, although haven't read great things about DTS Stream-fi, so would be wary of the IAG products.

I love my UnitiQute 2. Clear, punchy and a little sweet sounding. It did a marvellous job driving my Rega RS3s and sounded pretty great with my Ovator s400s too. Adding a NAP 200 def added dynamic punch though.
The built in streamer works well. The app is good, although I see _many_ areas for improvement. Spotify and Tidal are very reliable.
My only concern would be support and repair on the digital side of things as it ages.

Make sure you check out the Apps you can use with it, some of the supplied ones are dire. I’d go with a Pi or Bluesound Node into a normal integrated amp personally, that’s based on having had a few all in ones including a couple of high end units such as the Lyngdorf 3400.

I already have a Bluesound Node 2i with Exposure 2010S2 amplifier.

I am just attracted to the idea of reducing space by eliminating the streamer box and the headphone amplifier box.

I have read good things about the Hegel H90 / H95.

I am just attracted to the idea of reducing space by eliminating the streamer box and the headphone amplifier box.

Yamaha R-N803D is a bargain for the features/performance and often available with a discount from the likes of Richer and Peter Tyson.

The Lyngdorf 1120 and NAD M10 which includes BluOS are worth considering. Not owned any Hegel.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803d/index.html

https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-tdai-1120/

https://nadelectronics.com/product/m10-bluos-streaming-amplifier/

I appreciate Hegel's minimal / purist approach with limited inputs as I don't want Bluetooth or wifi. The headphone amp is good too.
If you plan to use Roon, be aware that the H95 doesn't (and has no plans to) support it.

Be sure to weigh the pace of change in the digital streaming world versus your desired pace of change in hardware. If you're looking to hold on to the device for more than 5 years, you might consider keeping streaming separate to avoid your whole amp becoming obsolete (conservatively probably more like 10 years but still....), unless you're ok with eventually having a major component of the amp being less useful.

As an example, I speculate that a lot of the old devices from 5+ years ago that had Spotify support built-in via their libspotify development library will increasingly be left behind for features like lossless playback.

Be sure to weigh the pace of change in the digital streaming world versus your desired pace of change in hardware. If you're looking to hold on to the device for more than 5 years, you might consider keeping streaming separate to avoid your whole amp becoming obsolete (conservatively probably more like 10 years but still....), unless you're ok with eventually having a major component of the amp being less useful.

As an example, I speculate that a lot of the old devices from 5+ years ago that had Spotify support built-in via their libspotify development library will increasingly be left behind for features like lossless playback.

Even if that were to come about, the whole amp certainly wouldn't become obsolete. The streaming functionality may become compromised, but a separate streamer could be used, eg a Node, or whatever.

Having said that, I would also advise in favour of a separate streamer. It allows much greater flexibility and future proofing. Apps are essential to the operability and experience; if you have a separate streamer you can always change that to reflect changing requirements, poor app support, functionaily issues, et al.

If you really do want just one box, then you need to decide on a budget. All in ones range from a few hundred to £10k or more.

Even if that were to come about, the whole amp certainly wouldn't become obsolete. The streaming functionality may become compromised, but a separate streamer could be used, eg a Node, or whatever.

Agreed, hence the second phrase "...unless you're ok with eventually having a major component of the amp being less useful." Admittedly a poorly structured sentence.

Basically, at some point, you're either going to have to replace the whole amp with a new streaming integrated, or you're going to have to buy a new streamer. Might as well buy a top notch amp and then upgrade the streamer separately as and when necessary.

Thank you.
Mauro

Hi. I've not heard them all, but of the ones on your list I'd probably go the Hegel route. If you don't mind expanding your list, I'd echo the suggestion of the Linn Majik DSM. It sounded unabashedly GREAT.

What speakers do you use? That's a rather significant part of the equation.

Finally - I love your tag line - "why is nothing ever simple?" Indeed!

What speakers do you use? That's a rather significant part of the equation.

Finally - I love your tag line - "why is nothing ever simple?" Indeed!
:D

I have a pair of Guru Audio QM10, but most of the time I listen to my HifiMan Sundara or Sennheiser HD650 headphones via a Lehmann BCL headphones amplifier.

NAD ?

Can’t remember model number but I’m sure there’s at least one that runs the BlueOS system/app

Gato amp with npm add on, might be too expensive but used prices around 17-1800 for a 250s NPM

I’ve had my eye on the Lyngdorf mainly for the ‘Room Perfect’ processor, what didn’t you like about it?

advertisement

Back