advertisement

Bluesound Node - Should I?

rbrown

I think therefore I think I am
Hi all,

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one of these. Currently my set up is a Mac mini as a Roon core connected to Lavry DA10 DAC connected directly to active speakers. I intend to keep my DAC and connect the Bluesound to it.

If i do this, is the digital output of the Bluesound fixed or can I control volume with the app?

Main reason for doing this is I want a one box solution and my Mac Mini is becoming a PITA over WiFi. I regularly have to reboot the router and set up the connection again from scratch. I'm assuming the Node is at least as good a source as the Mac Mini and from a convenience POV it looks brilliant.

Can’t recall if digital volume is fixed output. On every other count I’d say go for it.

I use a Node 2i to M-DAC and Event Opals and am very happy. I tried direct too, which also worked well.

Thanks Bluedrook. I’m guessing your MDac has a remote. My Lavry doesn’t (no USB input either). It’s getting on a bit but sounds fabulous.

Yes I have two Node 2i's and you can change volume from the app if you like. One is connected to an external DAC and still volume can be changed via the app.

They replaced a Sonos set up which in the kitchen at least, kept dropping out, many times we simply could not re-connect. I thought we would have to put in a hard wire LAN cable but probably won't bother with that now. We have had no drop outs at all since putting the Node 2i in. I would highly recommend, though with wi-fi etc your mileage may differ.

Are you going to buy the latest model?
Yes I think so although the 2Is are now being discounted to £399 at Richer’s and a few other places. Maybe that’s a more sensible option as I won’t need the (presumably) improved internal DAC. The newer touchpad looks nice though. Decisions, decisions.

I don't know what's changed (and haven't time to watch the 15 min video) and I'm sure you'll check out what you'll get for your extra £150. However, while the touchpad might 'look nice' think about whether you'll need it. Once the thing is set up you could bung it in a cupboard. Both of my units are out of reach due to lack of space on the hifi rack and the top of the fridge, and in my case that doesn't matter as the app is more convenient to use than going to the unit.

Oh great. Did you have an earlier one or is this your first foray into Nodes? Please let us know what you think of it.

Oh great. Did you have an earlier one or is this your first foray into Nodes? Please let us know what you think of it.
First. Just wanting something easy to play my streaming services through my HiFi. Hoping it sounds good enough to enjoy for casual listening.

Unless you’re prepared to spend substantially more, ie twice as much, the Node2i is a no-brainer.
Very respectable sound & one of the better apps out there.
The only question is do you grab an outgoing model at a bargain price, or get the new model which has a £50 price rise.
New version is reported to have a slightly better DAC, a revised top panel with 4 assignable short-cut hot keys, a different cosmetic finish, & some other minor revisions.
If you’re using an external DAC, I’d save the ££ & get the outgoing version, but be quick, they won’t hang around for that long.

Hi all,

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one of these. Currently my set up is a Mac mini as a Roon core connected to Lavry DA10 DAC connected directly to active speakers. I intend to keep my DAC and connect the Bluesound to it.

If i do this, is the digital output of the Bluesound fixed or can I control volume with the app?

Main reason for doing this is I want a one box solution and my Mac Mini is becoming a PITA over WiFi. I regularly have to reboot the router and set up the connection again from scratch. I'm assuming the Node is at least as good a source as the Mac Mini and from a convenience POV it looks brilliant.
I’ve been running the Node straight into a power amp for a while. Got a Chord Qutest to improve what I had and I have to say while the is some improvement it is not justifying the money spent. I think if you get the Node your Dac may become redundant.

Mine is fabulous..........very pleased with it.........stable, flexible, sounds great.

An off button on the app would be great as JTC said, but having said that mine goes off at the wall with the rest of the rig when not in use (solid state - warm up makes no difference - cont on pg 97).

S

My fingers hovering above the 'Buy' button on one of these too, as a first foray into the realms of streaming. Would definitely be great to hear the initial impressions of the new trialists.

Finding the Node 2i is a superb bit of kit.

Dead easy to set up and use. Great app/software. Hard drive plugged in the back with all my ripped CDs on (but you either have to leave it switched on all the time to access them, or give it 10 mins to index them after turning on). Really can't fault it.

SQ is good and I was surprise how much better Spotify sounded on it than the Chromecast Audio. Ripped CDs not quite as good as playing them direct, but close enough to not worry about.

Personally sticking with a 2Qute vs internal DAC, though it is good in isolation.

advertisement

Back