advertisement

Apropos of nothing, pt.94: Private Eye…

JTC

PFM Villager...
Just curious who are the readers, subscribers or even occasional submitters to this fine organ. Figured there has to be a fair overlap….

Must have been reading it for about 50 years on and off. My brother used to buy it and later I got a subscription I haven't yet had a reason to cancel. It's my go-to for sleaze and general shenanigans which eventually gets in to the general press/media. I read most of it but some sections such as the book reviews have no interest so I don't bother.

Some of the covers are just wonderful, eg "Why did you shoot him six times ?","Because I ran out of bullets", and the more recent "I'll do anything for money".

I wish Ian's organ a long life, gorged with a never ending supply of................ (cont. Page 94, obviously............).

CHE

Have been a subscriber for 20 years. Good fun and telling political/medical investigations.

Although, lest we forget, Private Eye was very much on the wrong side of the argument in the controversy around MMR jabs.

I stopped subscribing about 40 years ago, post-Goldsmith.

Did you write an angry letter to the editor, cancelling your subscription in protest at a particularly offensive cover? I've sometimes wondered how many of those who write such letters actually do cancel their subs.

subscriber here. I love some of their recent covers - the one with Phil the Greek and Cameron was a peach

I buy it occasionally. I did subscribe for a number of years but found it was making my blood boil too much. I still miss Auberon Waugh's diary which was always the first thing I'd read. Utterly hilarious and it was a shame Ian Hislop sacked him for being bonkers.

Did you write an angry letter to the editor, cancelling your subscription in protest at a particularly offensive cover? I've sometimes wondered how many of those who write such letters actually do cancel their subs.
No, I contributed to the Goldenballs fund but the Eye caved in and reached a settlement with Goldsmith moments later - at least that’s how I remember it looking back more than 40 years. I was naturally so incensed by this misappropriation of my student grant/beer money fund that I cancelled my subscription. Without sending a letter.

Subscriber for nearly forty years and regular reader before that.

A former colleague had a letter published, he was very proud.

I have been a subscriber too, for at least a decade and a buyer before that. I inherited the habit from my dad. My copy is recycled to a friend.

I think it's excellent. I genuinely think it's a fantastic contribution to UK journalism (I don't mean to damn PE with feint praise, it's great to have a proper rag that really investigates a story for once) and one of perhaps a handful of decent print papers/bits of journalism in the UK. My kids love the cartoons (so do I), though the cryptic crossword is impossible and I miss the once extensive classifieds, I think the advertising dept somehow managed to priced themselves out of the market. Shame.

My favourite Eye cartoon.

Eye-radicalised-cat-600x462.jpg

https://procartoonists.org/portfolios/robertthompson/album/picture/3992/

advertisement

Back