advertisement

Anti Woke movement grows

Cuts both ways though - this thread exists only as a result of the Mail and Express headlines, so their faux-‘outrage’ has generated more traffic on pfm, more ad-reading and more revenue for Tony. Silver lining.

As I have said, my opinion is that both sides must be heard.

I’m not very clear on the reasons why the picture was taken down, nor the extent that they are based on woke thinking. But I infer that the picture was thought inappropriate. I can surmise that as the common room will be used by many overseas students, a picture of Brenda helps to keep alive ideas and remnants of the establishment, and through that, echoes of colonialism. Oxford is steeped in the establishment and it may be off putting to some from former colonies, for example, so don’t keep reinforcing the links where there’s no need to.

It was allegedly taken down following a democratic vote based on the queen being a symbol of colonial power and white supremacy. Further discussions have mentioned that she is draped in jewels stolen from 'black and brown' nations.

As I understand it, the wokeists are now going after our sausages?

Shocking!

First they came for Her Majesty, and I did not speak out because I was not Her Majesty. Then they came for the sausages, and I did not speak out because I etc etc etc.

I bet GB News will be championing the Great British sausage.

44024027-9668763-image-m-30_1623256042285.jpg

One way to challenge these people could be to point out that being anti woke is being racist?
They’d not give a damn. But also, I struggle to understand why proclaiming to be woke would turn someone into a fierce anti-racist and friend of people of all colours. It takes a little more than that I reckon.

Isn't being woke about having empathy and compassion for others?

Surely anyone who's anti-woke is lacking in those feelings?

It’s odd so many talk of airbrushing the past, I distinctly remember studying the slave trade at secondary school. I remember with horror the diagrams of slave ships.
Re students, it’s usually the most radical, left or right, that are the loudest and most active, most are ambivalent till forced to make a choice.
It’s the motivated ones who lead the agenda.

Amusingly, the real 'snowflakes' here are the students who lost the vote about the portrait, then went whining to the press about it.

You only need to look to this very thread to see the fundamental truth of woke.

It’s bullying.

It needs cancelling.

I only need to look at this thread to see that's it's a good deal more complicated than that.

With the royal portrait hoo-hah, a memory stirred about an anecdote related by one of my teachers. My school was, and still is, a Catholic grammar school. This particular teacher was one of several Irish Christian Brothers, and had taught there since the school was founded, some 30 years before I arrived.

The story that he told was that, when the school became a direct grant school, there was a Government rule that no religious images were to be displayed in the classrooms. So, whenever the school was to be inspected, the statues which adorned each room had to be hidden away, to be retrieved after the inspectors left. The rule was no longer in force by the time I was there.

Now, a statue is basically just plaster and paint, but in this context, the statues were heavily symbolic. To the teachers, especially those who were in Holy Orders, the statues represented an aspect of their religious faith. To the inspectors, they represented religious indoctrination. To any random visiting Protestant, they might also have represented idolatory and superstition.

In the same way, a picture of the Queen is just a picture of the Queen. But that picture has symbolic power of different types, to different people.

There must be a shop that sells inappropriately long ties like the one above and of course made famous by the ridiculous Trump. It seems necessary that it drapes off the summit of their great corpulence then dangles over their crotch. Why is that?
Edit: it creates the illusion that they are taller than they actually, particularly in the case of the diminutive mahogany-dyed garden gnome above. He’s bizarre to look at in real life I can attest.

advertisement

Back