advertisement

Speaker Recommendations, please

have you said yet what the 'no good' speakers are and why 'no good'? Knowing what sound you might like will help I'd think?

have you said yet what the 'no good' speakers are and why 'no good'? Knowing what sound you might like will help I'd think?

Snell Ref A5''s are the "no good" speakers - not suited to a small room (they originally came with stereo 18" subs in 3' tall cabs, which I didn't buy at the time because they were, well, frigging mahoosive). In terms of sound, given the right environment, they'd be lovely.

Well, the OP was looking for loudspeaker advice, not on how to throw money out the window...

Useless post identification procedure completed.

You passed - congratulations on your continuing quest to stick your snout in with the PMC hatred.

Did a PMC speaker fall on your toe? Or is it Peter’s hair that winds you up?

Either way, well done. o_O

I've never tried the Kef 104/2 (I would like to when I have a bigger room to play with) but IIRC a number of people have commented here and elsewhere that they need a bit of room away from walls to breathe.

I currently have a similar sized room to you and find Shahinian Arcs work pretty well. They have a pretty wide sweet-spot, albeit for different reasons than Kef or Tannoy concentric type speakers.

I was surprised about your comment re the TJL's though, as they're very good, and certainly need no subs.

The primary function of distributed subs is to control the room response (i.e. improve sound quality of the mains) not to extend the frequency response deeper although they can do this as a secondary function. In particular they absorb low frequency sound which DSP on the main speakers cannot do. Nor can shaggy carpets or most other passive treatments which are too small to do much at low frequencies.

I've never tried the Kef 104/2 (I would like to when I have a bigger room to play with) but IIRC a number of people have commented here and elsewhere that they need a bit of room away from walls to breathe.

I currently have a similar sized room to you and find Shahinian Arcs work pretty well. They have a pretty wide sweet-spot, albeit for different reasons than Kef or Tannoy concentric type speakers.

A little space, yes - I had them in an 8 x 10 room in the past, and it was a bit of a squeeze, but they did well... God I miss 'em. Perhaps better to move on, in case the toxic fog of nostalgia has rotted my memory of shortfalls and difficulties...

A little space, yes - I had them in an 8 x 10 room in the past, and it was a bit of a squeeze, but they did well... God I miss 'em. Perhaps better to move on, in case the toxic fog of nostalgia has rotted my memory of shortfalls and difficulties...

Interesting that you got them to work well by the sounds of it. Was that using DSP/Dirac to tailor them to the room?

Interesting that you got them to work well by the sounds of it. Was that using DSP/Dirac to tailor them to the room?
lord no, that was in the bad old days, 15 years back. I made the landlord take the fireplace out to make room for the audio rack, the recesses either side of the chimney breast may have helped some.

Have you thought of Scansonic MB2.5? I use a pair of 3.5 and they are pretty damn good
All the best,

advertisement

Back