advertisement

Tannoy 12" Monitor Golds in custom corner cabinets

If the tideline bothers you the cones are easy enough to dye black, Kenrick Sound do it-the replacement cones have been black for many years.

I’m a few miles away and have some corners in my sitting room.... hmmm
iu

Anyone else still watching these? I just got an offer of 25% off from the seller, making them just £1200. That seems like a steal to me!

(I don't even know why I still have them in my watch list tbh as I already have a pair of good Tannoys so I'm not in the market.)

Ohhhh... you only live once.

Yes I know! but there’s more than one set of tannoys out in the world too!!

How would these work in a room 24 x 13ft firing down the long way with sofa about 16ft from speakers? Would they work in that dimension? I need Tannoy experts help here.. as the corner design would be firing the speakers crossing way in front of me obviously... what are they like off axis by so far? Do you need to sit on axis preferably?

if those that know think these are decent and worthwhile I can buy and go pick up quite easily.

Yes I know! but there’s more than one set of tannoys out in the world too!!

How would these work in a room 24 x 13ft firing down the long way with sofa about 16ft from speakers? Would they work in that dimension? I need Tannoy experts help here.. if those that know think these are decent and worthwhile I can buy and go pick up quite easily.

I have these same drivers in 70L Chatsworth cabs. Room is 4.5mx4m and with a sprung wooden floor. It’s not quite as good as my previous room which was 5x3.5m and concrete floored, but there are no issues, it sounds excellent and bass is clean down to 35hz.

I paid £1500 for mine IIRC. Those corner cabs would not be cheap to build.

The thing that will sting you is if the HF diaphragms are way off spec, but if the buyer can confirm that there’s no issue with channel balance that should cover you.

Just looking more closely at the images, there’s what looks like a dent in the rubber surround on one of the drivers. I’d want to ask about that.

The other issue is whether the crossovers are any good but I can’t tell from the image what the story is with those, maybe Frank can decipher them?

FWIW I have aftermarket crossovers (RFC) and am very happy, obviously others prefer to keep the originals.

WRT positioning Tannoy apparently recommended to have the speakers crossing in front of you 15 degrees of axis. So you’d not be too far off. That’s how I have mine, with the centre of the driver being 120cm from side walls.

It surprises me that these haven't been snapped up yet. What does that say about the UK market for vintage Tannoys at the moment...

Just looking more closely at the images, there’s what looks like a dent in the rubber surround on one of the drivers. I’d want to ask about that.

The other issue is whether the crossovers are any good but I can’t tell from the image what the story is with those, maybe Frank can decipher them?

FWIW I have aftermarket crossovers (RFC) and am very happy, obviously others prefer to keep the originals.

Paul's Coupe's (RFC) crossovers are a massive improvement in refinement over the originals, I'm also delighted with mine. These don't look like Paul's (not nearly tidy enough), and they don't look like Mark Pitcher's either so probably DIY - they may be fine, they may need a once-over from someone who knows Tannoy crossovers, but not a showstopper I would say.

Its funny market when Chatsworths are fetching much more, I'm really tempted even though I've just bought the last tatty pair of Golds in DIY Lancaster cabs...

It surprises me that these haven't been snapped up yet. What does that say about the UK market for vintage Tannoys at the moment...

I think really it just shows that on the whole people still favour buying 100% untouched original Tannoy models in their bog-standard cabinets, and are cautious of diy and aftermarket cabs and crossovers or speakers that have been 'modified' in any way. Funny really as the first thing lots of people seem to do after buying their vintage Tannoys is start looking at new cabinets and messing with the crossovers :D

Yeah, surprising, I really thought that they'd be snapped up at that price. Those cabinets look excellent.

advertisement

Back