advertisement

Amp upgrade recommendations please

1964meb

pfm Member
Hi Fish

A colleague has just upgraded from an RP1 to a a new rega planar 3, a £200 marantz amp and Dali Zensor bookshelf speakers

They wish to upgrade - I think Second hand gives the best bang for buck

I have suggested jumping to the £1k-£1.5k level rather than to a Rega Brio.

I have heard a Roksan K3 and think it is excellent.

What are you learned thoughts please?

Many thanks

Mike

The Roksan house sound is a little bright, also I think the Dali Zenzor is where the budget should be spent, as these are probably the weak link in this system.

Getting a pair of second-hand standmounts will transform the system vs. changing the amp.

A pair of Amphion Argon 3S are £2k new, so could be had for £1k to £1.5k s/h, and would be a massive upgrade.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My learned thought is that some idea of overall budget would be very useful if advice is to be meaningful. But I’d also say don’t underestimate the baby Rega amp. For £600 or so, you’ll get a belter, and leave more money for speakers. And I think the Amphions are a good shout. Or, perhaps, something like the Spendor A series, according to budget.

Reactions: RoA
A second-hand Elex-R could probably be picked up for the same price as a new Brio, and would make a nice pairing for the P3 (as would the Brio though).

Thanks Arkless. I think my friend who is just discovering hifi and has a few pennies has early onset upgraditis. Hence the need for informed comments and advice. m

There’s a lovely Onix integrated amplifier in the classifieds here atm, the company itself is poo but it’s been completely refurbished and comes with MM & MC cards I believe.
I think it’s a bargain, check with Jez regarding servicing for added peace of mind (I think Tony Brady @ Exposure would be helpful also if you ran into trouble going forward) but it should be good for the foreseeable. If it checks out the change will leave a lot of scope for better speakers s/h.

Pioneer A27, Sony 770ES, JVC AX Z1010TN would all be good and kick a Brio into the weeds. All would be overkill in your system though - try some better speakers first. Some Tannoy Eatons or, if space allows, Cheviots, are a way of life if you like the sound.

Would not touch those Shahinian Arcs on eBay at that price, they are worth £600 to £700 tops and even then that is most likely too much.

advertisement

Back