advertisement

Spotify lossless

RoA

pfm Member
Once more Spotify are making noises about lossless. I've heard it many times. It started some 4 years ago. Needless to say, it never materialised. Reports are numerous, facts non-existent. Ever so often a byte sized 'anouncement' driving forum users wild with expectation ... then ... another year passes. On it goes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wh...-and-do-we-still-want-a-lossless-spotify-tier

£10/month for mediocre SQ (there currently is a 3 months free trial) and the best interface.

Will we eventually get what we want and will Spotify offer Highres rather than just lossless which is now expected?

Thanks to Stuart and Dimitry I have added Amazon HD to my Quobuz Studio and Tidal Hires subscriptions and very good it is.

I now find I mostly use Tidal and Amazon less so Quobuz so will likely cancel this. The interface and AI is seriously lacking. Still, I would like to combine something that combines the best of everything.

Tidal has MQA which I like so will likely hang on to this. The others will not offer this.

What do you think, will Spotify get their act together? The company has been loosing serious amounts of money. Is lossless on their priority list or will it be another year of the same? Audiophiles are likely a tiny minority of their demographics but if they charge double it may be worth it.

I use Spotify as the world's biggest jukebox and a replacement service for the monthly CD that was on the cover of The Word magazine via the Discover/Release playlists.

If something is good then i will purchase a physical edition, usually LP, which gives me all the SQ I need. If you are serious about quality or ensuring that money goes to the bands/artists then Bandcamp is great.

I think this has been 'done' a few times recently here.
Spot is my fave service. It has a huge library, the best platform and interface IME and sounds just fine through a decent server. IF it goes to CD quality at a few quid a month more for the whole catalogue, then I'll probably give it a try.

As I use Roon at home I originally cancelled Spotify thinking I'd be able to make do with just Qobuz. Unfortunately after a few months I ended up biting the bullet and realising I needed to license both - Spotify on the move, Qobuz at home. Spotify's UI, stability, streaming in data sparse areas, and integration with things like Android Auto are pretty much unmatched in my experience (incl. compared to other options like Tidal, which I've also licensed on and off in the past)

Feels like a bit of a waste ultimately paying music licenses twice, but until Spotify do Hifi+Roon integration, I don't feel like I have a choice if I want my music listening to be as trouble free as possible.

But as OP hinted at the start, I've given up hoping for the Spotify Hifi evolution.

Reactions: RoA
Just a question : will it be possible to listen to Spotify Hi-fi with poor broadband, and then do anything else?
I have 2 mbps.

Streaming CD quality and a bit of browsing should be OK. Anthing more demanding and you will likely have blips.

Just a question : will it be possible to listen to Spotify Hi-fi with poor broadband, and then do anything else?
I have 2 mbps.
My speed of 2.2 mbps works fine for streaming cd quality from Deezer. Works fine streaming from my Innuos Zen hard drive, however failed miserably when trying to stream from Quboz

I’m reading these with interest, I have Spotify for my one box Naim in the house. Thanks to the PFM family I discovered a higher quality Spotify setting. All good in the house. Lady N got a BMW X 1 from motability with its std sound system. Connected to Spotify and I was absolutely amazed by how good it sounded. Highs are high lows are low clarity of presentation of the instruments positioning of instruments all round fabulous. Better in the car than in the house. I would not have believed it was possible if I had not heard it for myself.

Good luck stay safe.

I've tried Tidal, Qobuz and at the moment have a 3 month trial of Amazon HD.
Unless Spotify come up with something exceptional I will be sticking with Amazon - at 9.99 Euros a month it's a no-brainer.
Tidal costs double that and has (for me) the added irritation of mqa - Qobuz (unless you're heavily into Classical) has a somewhat incomplete library and again is significantly more expensive than Amazon HD.

I’m reading these with interest, I have Spotify for my one box Naim in the house. Thanks to the PFM family I discovered a higher quality Spotify setting. All good in the house. Lady N got a BMW X 1 from motability with its std sound system. Connected to Spotify and I was absolutely amazed by how good it sounded. Highs are high lows are low clarity of presentation of the instruments positioning of instruments all round fabulous. Better in the car than in the house. I would not have believed it was possible if I had not heard it for myself.

Good luck stay safe.

Agree, a good car system can sound great and very engaging.

I see Apple lossless has now launched ...

IMG_0227_y8oenb.png

Have managed up to 24/192 playing though last gen. iPad mini plus camera connection kit. At first glance, everything that's hi-res on Qobuz is available in the same bit/sample rate on Apple Music. Nice clear labelling.

Can't really say it sounds any better, but it's certainly not worse.

Niggles:
- Can't (yet?) use the AM app on my Android phone as a remote for AM on MacOS.
- Difficult to play bit perfect on MacOS because the sample rate will be whatever has been set manually in Audio Midi settings, it doesn't adjust per song.

But overall, well done Apple.

advertisement

Back