advertisement

odd windows behaviour, naughty windows

garyi

leave blank
I had an update, it went wrong such is the world of windows.

Once I got back to the welcome screen I now have to control alt delete to login and there is now and admin account where there was not one before.
Any idea how I can revert to how it should be, i.e. the admin account not being visible, and it defaulting to my account to log in (with windows hello)

Garyi,

I recently had the reverse of this, I desperately wanted the admin account on the login page so I could use it to fix the profile of the solitary user.

My memory is hazy, but I think you may have to disable the inbuilt admin account in the accounts properties, assuming your Hello user is an admin on the device.

1. Go to Start menu (or press Windows key + X) and select “Computer Management”.
  2. Then expand to “Local Users and Groups”, then “Users”.
  3. Select the “Administrator” and then right-click and select “Properties”.
  4. Uncheck “Account is disabled” to enable it. (or vice versa)

Mebees :)

S

Ah ta, I'll do that. I Also worked out the ctrl alt del thing, god knows what happened there.

You could try:

1. Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows+I” keys.
  2. Click “Update & security”
  3. Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar
  4. Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”
  5. Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete the rollback.

No such option for recovery in sidebar, under update history though there is recovery options, but no option to go back to previous version. My only options are reset pc or advanced for setting up firmware.

FWIW I have never seen this option when its been suggested ever on windows 10, presumably I have not set something up.

Dropping Audio and having to reload the drivers has been happening last few months after updates/reboots on a few Dell Latitude laptops.

No such option for recovery in sidebar, under update history though there is recovery options, but no option to go back to previous version. My only options are reset pc or advanced for setting up firmware.

FWIW I have never seen this option when its been suggested ever on windows 10, presumably I have not set something up.
To enable System Restore:
  1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Create a restore point and click the top result to open the System Properties page.
  3. Under the "Protection Settings" section, select the main "System" drive
  4. Click the Configure button.
  5. Select the Turn on system protection option.

That would be it then, seems strange this is not on by default. Alas I cannot be arsed pissing around, clean install it is then. Its why I never have files on the boot drive :)

Wierdness here too. The lappy updated without a hitch, all running well so I let the work PC update...

Yup, you guessed, it went completely diddly-wot-not. Tried fiddling at first, got the printer back but no scans, ADSL OK but WiFi gone, a few other strange goings on.
Rolled it back to previous and everything OK again.

I do hate Win10 and it's crappy updates, MS should just roll the entire thing back to Win7, there, I'm happy now.

Whenever I get a none booting Windows laptop on my bench the owners never have any backups. They are all basic simple users:- web browsing, email, photos, films yadda yadda and the concept of backup never occurs to them.

Windows doesn't need much disk space even with an on-board Office suite so after fixing these machines I shrink Windows and make space to create another partition and set up system protection, a disk image and file history on there. So if at any time in the future they screw up there is some chance of recovery. O.K if a HDD or SSD goes bad thats bad luck but its better than nothing and both are very reliable nowadays.

I do similar for Macs and Linux machines. I have two elderly ladies who have been running Linux now for over two years and they took to it like a duck to water. One is running her old Windows Bridge training courses (she has several) in Linux. However Timeshift is running in the background and if the machine gets screwed I can restore to the last daily backup in about 10mins or so.

Now that we have very fast USB 3 I tend to run Windows, macOS and Linux from portable M.2 SSDs so I can take my system with me in a shirt pocket and plug into virtually any PC, laptop or Mac (the M1 excepted). I know some on here jump up and down and have a tantrum when I talk about portable Windows on a USB drive but it works and works well. (For example I can using portable Windows run Big Sur in a VM on a Mac that doesn't support macOS 11!) One to my mind a big plus is that portable Windows will take all security updates but will not upgrade to a new version. Thats a big plus for stability as you the user now have control as to when you move to a new and stable version.

If anyone would like to try this I can walk them through the necessary steps and at the moment the software to do this is no longer free but I have links for the previous version that did allow this functionality in their free version. This seems to be happening to a lot of applications where functionality in older free versions has moved into the paid up version.

Cheers,

DV

My concept of back ups is not to have any data worth a crap on the boot drive. My additional SSDs are backed up elsewhere.

It makes reinstalling a doodle when you have to, which I had to today. Computers are computers and on occasion they got tits up, macs are very much not immune to this before people start bitching, infact I have had far more issues with big sur this past year than windows on multiple machines.

All fixed now though.

The HP laptop I have as secretary of our local Men's Shed decided to wipe the documents folder during the last but one update!

It is slower than a very slow thing at the best of times. I wish they had stretched the budget and got a machine with a SSD!

When will Microsoft realise that we don't need 'feature updates' to an OS? I don't spend ANY time using Windows 'features' - I just want it to run my applications reliably. MS do themselves far more damage with rolling, failed and buggy updates that just seem to cause endless issues and piss off users.

Just make sure it's got security updates and leave the rest alone please.

Yes I would have to agree, or at least postpone feature updates to once a year and make them worth a damn. So far as I can tell all I got was a weather icon in the taskbar, lol.

Yes I would have to agree, or at least postpone feature updates to once a year and make them worth a damn. So far as I can tell all I got was a weather icon in the taskbar, lol.
It's ANOTHER nudge to try and get users using Edge and sodding Bing - anything clicked in there opens in Edge rather than the default browser you've told Windows you want to use. Ironically Edge is pretty good now it's based on Chromium, however my back is up and purely because MS push it so hard, I don't want to use it. I also hate Bing, mostly because of its stupid name.

When will Microsoft realise that we don't need 'feature updates' to an OS? I don't spend ANY time using Windows 'features' - I just want it to run my applications reliably. MS do themselves far more damage with rolling, failed and buggy updates that just seem to cause endless issues and piss off users.

Just make sure it's got security updates and leave the rest alone please.

I think that you will be quite unhappy in a few weeks time then.

advertisement

Back