advertisement

Active loudspeakers: why so few floorstanders?

For some reason seems to be a mastering studio thing.

I've heard weird (from an outsiders view) rumors that the recording studious, who is using small desktop speakers, don't have a clue to how the bass is exactly sounding and therefore leaves that part to the mastering guys. Who has proper, full size speakers. But they can't be that stupid, can they ;) or :confused: or :rolleyes:

I've heard weird (from an outsiders view) rumors that the recording studious, who is using small desktop speakers, don't have a clue to how the bass is exactly sounding and therefore leaves that part to the mastering guys. Who has proper, full size speakers. But they can't be that stupid, can they ;) or :confused: or :rolleyes:

Hmm! I've never heard that. I guess it could be the case for very small studios. It's certainly the hardest part of the frequency spectrum to monitor properly, partly through the need for speakers to accurately produce the low end but also because it's so room dependant. So far as I can tell it seems common practice for studio control rooms to invest in bass traps etc.

Hate to break this to you but stand mount speakers take up the same amount of floor space, especially when a lot of them have rear firing ports. Active speakers take up a lot less room only when viewed in wider context, as outlined above.

This has always mystified me. Some cite WAF factor, but given that both types of speaker take up the same floor space, it ought to be possible to find more attractive ways of getting speaker drivers into the home than having them sit on (often gross looking) metal frame stands with more cable on view. Yes Harbeth I'm looking at you.

These (stands) are sold as stylish........I need to introduce the company to the Hi Fi partner's association before they hold their next design meeting. :)

iu

This has always mystified me. Some cite WAF factor, but given that both types of speaker take up the same floor space, it ought to be possible to find more attractive ways of getting speaker drivers into the home than having them sit on (often gross looking) metal frame stands with more cable on view. Yes Harbeth I'm looking at you.

These (stands) are sold as stylish........I need to introduce the company to the Hi Fi partner's association before they hold their next design meeting. :)

iu

Good point.

Most normal (non Audiophile) folks will use 'bookshelf' speakers just as that, without stands but on sideboards, on floors and bookshelves.

For us, the choice is often ugly and expensive. Bowers & Wilkins, for example charge £600 for the Formation Duo Stands which imho embodies both of the above.

Most speaker stands are imo design compromised, encompassing function over form (though manufacturers seem to think they fulfill both). It's all subjective but Rhaido and Q Acoustics make elegant looking stands but in the case of the former, super expensive.

There are genuine reasons why someone would choose standmounts instead of floor standers though, especially at less than high end.

They are often better built and less compromised. It's easier to make a smaller box with good drivers sound good. I would also argue that these days, with several relatively affordable small subwoofers made for music, a standmount/sub combination can make a lot of sense, especially if there is some DSP/room correction is involved.

Personally, I think the footprint of a base of a speaker stand should always be bigger than that of the speaker. If the speaker is larger it looks unbalanced/top heavy.

iu
I prefer the look of standmount ATC50s over the towers but ultimately they take up the same room, I just think 'proper' speakers are impossible to accommodate in a shared living space. The current trend for open plan living & 'family rooms' will ultimately kill off hi-fi. Mate of mine has some decent stand mounts speakers on a book shelf, precariously balanced to give a bit of room for the ports; I couldn't live with that.

I prefer the look of standmount ATC50s over the towers but ultimately they take up the same room, I just think 'proper' speakers are impossible to accommodate in a shared living space. The current trend for open plan living & 'family rooms' will ultimately kill off hi-fi. Mate of mine has some decent stand mounts speakers on a book shelf, precariously balanced to give a bit of room for the ports; I couldn't live with that.

It certainly doesn't help I agree, but as for killing off Hi Fi (or at least as most of us remember it) that's more to do with what is possible from modestly priced, dare one say, even stylish equipment. The alternatives to 'proper' gear in the mass market used to be pretty rubbish, play a record or cassette on an old music centre and compare it with what you can get cheaply now - no comparison. It's much harder to get a jaw dropping difference from the unconverted.

It certainly doesn't help I agree, but as for killing off Hi Fi (or at least as most of us remember it) that's more to do with what is possible from modestly priced, dare one say, even stylish equipment. The alternatives to 'proper' gear in the mass market used to be pretty rubbish, play a record or cassette on an old music centre and compare it with what you can get cheaply now - no comparison. It's much harder to get a jaw dropping difference from the unconverted.
I have smart speakers dotted around the house, they are great but not what I get from my main system. I just don’t see how traditional hifi can really survive within the modern home.

I agree that more is possible for less. Streamer/Dac/Active speakers will blow most old style systems away.

All speakers are floor standers in literal terms if you put them on stands, just the size of the cabinet that varies in size.
My d&d 8c are big stand mounted speakers but take up exactly the same foot print as a floorstander would.

I’ll never return to passive speakers since moving to actives, period.

iu
These look really cool.

I remember an article in Hi-Fi news some years ago debating the issue of stand mounters versus floor standers. Admittedly this was long before the popularity of active speakers, but the consensus seemed to be that at any given price point it was easier to build a good stand mounted speaker than a floor stander, and that many floor standers, particularly the cheaper ones, were seriously compromised simply by the fact that they were poorly designed, three-quarters or thereabouts, empty boxes.

Not in this household...for a couple of decades.. :D
Not here either. Now into my 5th decade with actives starting floor standing Meridian M1's in the late 1970's.

All speakers are floor standers in literal terms if you put them on stands, just the size of the cabinet that varies in size.
My d&d 8c are big stand mounted speakers but take up exactly the same foot print as a floorstander would.

I’ll never return to passive speakers since moving to actives, period.
My 8c's replaced my floor standing Meridian M10's and although almost the same footprint actually they are much less intrusive in my room as they work best 20cm from the wall behind and I also have them further towards the room corners. The design and DSP room correction allowing this placement. This new room position certainly pleased SWMBO. :)

advertisement

Back