advertisement

Accuphase Amps

Much as i did and have too, after spending many years with active and DAC/pre's i find a good passive system much more satisfying and even simpler to setup with less cabling and faff.

In my case, I still have a lot of respect for active systems - from a technical POV they make a lot of sense (more than passives, IMO). However I feel that analogue active systems are somewhat neither here nor there - they don't offer the flexibility of passive systems with separate amps (in *most* cases the amps are built in), and their XOs are inherently inferior to digital XOs.

If I went active again, it would be in a digital-only system using something along the lines of Genelec 8351s or so, together with something like this, however I currently enjoy spinning records as part of my digital detox ritual in the evenings way to much to change things, so consequently my system is pretty traditional again.

Had the demo!
Very nice sounding amp, well controlled, detailed, sweet treble, natural, etc etc. But, it just didn't do it for me!
Seems I prefer the "coloured" sound of the Naim!
Going to demo a nap 250 next time off of a Supernait 2.

Had the demo!
Very nice sounding amp, well controlled, detailed, sweet treble, natural, etc etc. But, it just didn't do it for me!
Seems I prefer the "coloured" sound of the Naim!
Going to demo a nap 250 next time off of a Supernait 2.

Fair enough, but one shouldn't really think in simplistic categories like naim = coloured, Accuphase = neutral (I have heard Accuphase being called coloured).

All that matters is that you found an amp whose sound or synergy with the selected speaker you preferred, from a respected company (I also had naim in the past), so go ahead and enjoy!

In my case, I still have a lot of respect for active systems - from a technical POV they make a lot of sense (more than passives, IMO). However I feel that analogue active systems are somewhat neither here nor there - they don't offer the flexibility of passive systems with separate amps (in *most* cases the amps are built in), and their XOs are inherently inferior to digital XOs.

If I went active again, it would be in a digital-only system using something along the lines of Genelec 8351s or so, together with something like this, however I currently enjoy spinning records as part of my digital detox ritual in the evenings way to much to change things, so consequently my system is pretty traditional again.

I consider active with analogue crossovers the ultimate. Any active IS better than an equivalent passive system.

I agree with some of the lists above. Pass maybe, certainly Sugden masterclass amps and Luxman are all in the same sonic ballpark. Each has it's own signature sound, though the differences are not big IME. All four are very very well made. Accuphase and Luxman are possibly the most alike. Both should serve you all your days, are very well made indeed (Accuphase switches are just one iota 'nicer' to feel than Luxman's) and if you like 'champagne' and have no bank worries, I'd just buy an Accuphase. I don't and do have some, so I bought a Luxman. Auditioned together, the Accuphase was maybe 5% more to my preference, but about 40% meaner to my bank balance. Even if I won the lottery, I'd not swap now. They are just too similar and there are a lot of other paths to tread amplifier wise.

May I bump this one please? Wondering how significant the performance gap is between the 270/280 and the 370. To be honest, I prefer the look of the smaller models...

Also, if anyone has any meaningful experiences of the above models vs the 550axii Luxman that would be most welcome. Have seen the other thread but these specific models are of interest given similar pricing. Many thanks.

advertisement

Back