advertisement

Rega Elicit-R running v.hot and cutting out

mindlagoon

pfm Member
I was listening to some music last night at very low level (2 or 3 LEDs lit on the vol control) when my Elicit suddenly muted. I switched it off, left it for a few mins, then turned it back on. It had recovered but it muted again shortly after. Hasn't happened before but it was a warm night and it does run hotter than I would expect, even for the class. I've just measured the heatsink temperatures, just over 1 hour after switch-on (it's been silent for most of that time). The centre of the left heatsink is now 80 degC / 176 F, the right around 75 degC/ 167 F. That is ridiculously hot for such large heatsinks. The amp is sitting on a slate shelf with about 10cm clearance above.

I've heard the bias can be checked and adjusted fairly easily, and I'm more than qualified to do the job as I design and trim RF amps and other analogue circuits as a profession. Is it possible to get this nugget of servicing info from Rega without having to use a dealer? Can Paul Darwin assist, maybe?

Yes this happened to mine. Sent back to Rega, but as I recall, then had to be sent back again, as problem recurred. Second time was successful, and the amp performed flawlessly thereafter. Great amp, which I enjoyed, before upgrading to the Aethos, which is substantially better in every respect.

My experience was pretty much the same as that off Ron Ellis. There was no charge from rega on both occasions and the fault has not reoccurred for over four years now. I thought it sounded better when it returned after the second fix when, if my memory is correct, they changed some transistors in the bias circuit.

I loaned something from my dealer to tide me over so was never really inconvenienced.

Thanks, but that's for an earlier version, alas.
Yes, it is. I posted it anyway since I don't know how the -R version differs from the earlier one. The relevant part of the circuit might be similar, or even identical, to the older model.

My Aethos runs very hot. When it had a shelf above it, it would often get too hot to touch the volume knob and the remote would stop working altogether. Now that it's sitting on top of the unit it never gets quite that hot, but sometimes the volume still gets stuck.

My Aethos runs very hot. When it had a shelf above it, it would often get too hot to touch the volume knob and the remote would stop working altogether. Now that it's sitting on top of the unit it never gets quite that hot, but sometimes the volume still gets stuck.

My experience too.
I have it placed in lowest shelf on a QS4 rack.
So a bit air above but will try longer columns
The low running feet on Rega amps does not warrant for much air passage

advertisement

Back