advertisement

CD player or transport - step up from Exposure 3010S2 CD

Bob Edwards

pfm Member
All -

My Exposure 3010S2 CD player has been nothing short of terrific in the time I've owned it. However, it has started to display a quirk - it will occasionally not read a CD or, more problematically, it won't release a CD back to the drawer to swap to the next CD. I'll contact Exposure about it, and have seen replacement mechs for it from Germany, but figured I'd see if anyone has a recommendation for something that would be an undeniable step or two UP performance-wise.

I am currently using it only as a transport, via BNC, to a Naim nDAC powered by a Pardo T-XPS. I had a Cambridge CXC for a while, but the Exposure was noticeably and obviously better (though note the Cambridge did not have a BNC output, so was used with a coax digital cable).

Rest of the system is the same - Expo 3010S2 preamp and monoblocks driving Monitor Audio GX300 speakers, with a Rega P6/Ania for vinyl.

Thanks in advance for suggestions! Budget - say up to about $2K USD, which I think is *about* 1400 pounds sterling.

Here is my two cents:

I got tired of those expensive CD players or transports costing a fortune but using the same flimsy drawer and mechanism than the entry level products. I am now using a Marantz 6006 CD player as a transport with a very good DAC and I’m very satisfied of the results.

If I was looking for a good CD transport, I would look at the top loading ones that seems to be a bit more robust. The small Exposure or a Rega would fit these requirements.

I never heard or saw it but the Cyrus transport seems to be robust as well and the sound is probably very good knowing that brand’s philosophy.

That said, I still have an old Musical Fidelity 24 bits from the 90’s and it’s still running strong, it really seems to be built to last forever so for me, a CD player or transport from this brand would be on my wish list.

Another interesting test to perform is to use a $100.00 Sony Blue Ray DVD in your external DAC and see how it sounds, you may be surprised !

The Linn Sondek CD 12 remains on my wish list as well but again, I am not 100% convinced it’s worth the spend.

Cyrus had a lot of issues with CD Mechs a while back, so I’d be careful going for one of those.

I use an OPPO as a CD/SACD transport but they are no longer a current brand and prices are a bit silly especially the 200 series. Saying that it’s an excellent deck.

All -

Thanks for suggestions so far!

I saw two inexpensive options - a Audiolab 6000 transport and a Meridian 596 DVD player. Might they be worth a shot? Or, "punt," as a King's English forum?

All -

I saw two inexpensive options - a Audiolab 6000 transport and a Meridian 596 DVD player. Might they be worth a shot? Or, "punt," as a King's English forum?
I had the 596 but is was linked to their 598MM Pre/Proc and was therefore using the proprietary MHR out. It’s pretty long in the tooth, it was 20 years back I had it, but that combo was truly excellent at Red Book. What about the dedicated Meridian 500 CD Transport, I think 1 version uses a Mech that is still available to buy from a few places, maybe the Mk3.

Cyrus had a lot of issues with CD Mechs a while back, so I’d be careful going for one of those.

I use an OPPO as a CD/SACD transport but they are no longer a current brand and prices are a bit silly especially the 200 series. Saying that it’s an excellent deck.

yes many hundreds or veven thousands of posts on forums re cyrus cd players [ older ones ]

I’ve recently acquired a Denon DCD1600 (also SACD player) from a fellow fish. I’ve had it a couple of weeks and can say it’s the best CD player I’ve owned. Sounds better to me than previous Naim and Meridian players. Very solid build quality (it’s made in Japan rather than China etc), feels as though it will last the distance. I think you are in the US, so might be easier to source than UK players. They’re about £900 new in the UK. Next one up is the DCD2500 (about £1,600 UK). Worth a look / listen.

If your Exposure fails to release the CD tray sometimes then that is also probably why it’s not reading discs - slipping belt failing to close the tray switch. Try helping the drawer home the last few centimeters, should prove/disprove quickly. Easy fix, new drawer tray belt :)

The Linn Sondek CD 12 remains on my wish list as well but again, I am not 100% convinced it’s worth the spend.

One of the very best players I've owned and listened to.
Really quality build like a tank and very expensive when new.
Pity if Linn no longer support these.

The Meridian CD transports work superbly into an Ndac. They are superly built even if they are getting on. The 200 I have surprised me versus a dedicated streamer and server.
The Moon 260d may be worth a look as well- again te Moon kit goes well with Naim

All -

Vintage or not vintage, that is the question.
I would prefer the Meridian or a Linn to the Audiolab, I fear jams with front loading slots...........

All -

My Exposure 3010S2 CD player has been nothing short of terrific in the time I've owned it. However, it has started to display a quirk - it will occasionally not read a CD or, more problematically, it won't release a CD back to the drawer to swap to the next CD. I'll contact Exposure about it, and have seen replacement mechs for it from Germany, but figured I'd see if anyone has a recommendation for something that would be an undeniable step or two UP performance-wise.

I am currently using it only as a transport, via BNC, to a Naim nDAC powered by a Pardo T-XPS. I had a Cambridge CXC for a while, but the Exposure was noticeably and obviously better (though note the Cambridge did not have a BNC output, so was used with a coax digital cable).

Rest of the system is the same - Expo 3010S2 preamp and monoblocks driving Monitor Audio GX300 speakers, with a Rega P6/Ania for vinyl.

Thanks in advance for suggestions! Budget - say up to about $2K USD, which I think is *about* 1400 pounds sterling.
Hope Exposure can sort you out. Let us know how you get on: I like my 3010s2 a lot, so it would be good to know how repairable they are if it ever develops this fault.

A CD fan may also consider the Denafrips Avatar. ($$$!)

That might ever-so-slightly exceed the budget . . . ;)

Your other suggestions, though, are well-taken - thank you!

I think I'll reach out to Tony Brady and see if the German mechs really are for a 3010S2, and if they are, I'll get one and install it (perfectly comfortable doing it myself as long as I don't have to solder surface mount componentry).

That might ever-so-slightly exceed the budget . . . ;)

Your other suggestions, though, are well-taken - thank you!

I think I'll reach out to Tony Brady and see if the German mechs really are for a 3010S2, and if they are, I'll get one and install it (perfectly comfortable doing it myself as long as I don't have to solder surface mount componentry).

If it’s the tray belt, a new mech will not help - although it’s always good to have a spare :) Just confirm whether it’s the tray belt first is my advice.

advertisement

Back