advertisement

I gots to know…

JTC

PFM Villager...
See when they’re laying fresh pavement? What’s the purpose behind the little white stones they mix into the darker stuff? It’s very pretty, like, but what’s it a’ aboot?

Thanking you

They do that because if they didn't it wouldn't have little white stones mixed into the darker stuff.

Hope that helps.

American or UK 'pavement'?
The white stones added to ashphalt driveways was always just for the look - but adding lumps of stone to roadways in ashphalt is usually for grip.

The "dark stuff" is gravel mixed with asphalt. Adding some plain gravel on top improves grip, especially in wet conditions, and makes the surface lighter, which is a visual improvement as well as reducing heating in sunlight.

I know that they have started putting glass from recycling bins into roads and concrete blocks. I was giving a mate a hand to build a wall and you can see the green flecks in the blocks. It's wise to wear gloves when you are handling cut surfaces.

Is the OP English of American?

Pavement in the US is what is called road-surface in the UK. Pavement in the UK is sidewalk in the US.
As for road surfaces here, apart from bitumen (tar) and chippings, they are mostly made from bitumen concrete (asphalt died-out MANY moons ago).

If the OP refers to walked-on areas, it is decoration if random. Some additions in public areas are to help partially-sighted people, but they are not random additions.

Is the OP English of American?

Pavement in the US is what is called road-surface in the UK. Pavement in the UK is sidewalk in the US.
As for road surfaces here, apart from bitumen (tar) and chippings, they are mostly made from bitumen concrete (asphalt died-out MANY moons ago).

In the UK it is carriageway and footway. The term pavement applies to both. Surface course of carriageway can be hot rolled asphalt (HRA)

In the UK it is carriageway and footway. The term pavement applies to both. Surface course of carriageway can be hot rolled asphalt (HRA)

99.99% of people in the UK that learnt English here, call the footpath bit of a made road, a pavement. The 0.01% of people working in the construction industy may well call it something different.
The mix of crushed stone and bitumen is actually bitumen concrete, again, anyone can actually call it anything they like.

Common language is full of such errors - bulbs are what you plant in the garden, lamps produce light, most people would expect to drill a hole, but very often they are bored. etc. etc. etc. The list is endless.

If the stones were cheaper, it would be white with little bits of dark stuff?
I was reminded of the fuit pulp in a yoghurt analogy. Fruit pulp is cheaper than yoghurt, so "even more fruit" really means "even less toghurt".

99.99% of people in the UK that learnt English here, call the footpath bit of a made road, a pavement. The 0.01% of people working in the construction industy may well call it something different.
The mix of crushed stone and bitumen is actually bitumen concrete, again, anyone can actually call it anything they like.
..blah..

So now you know

advertisement

Back