advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn Phono Stage

jagdesign

pfm Member
Has anyone heard or is anyone using a Brooklyn (or +) as a phono stage?

Our 9 month old is showing increased interest in my hi-fi, and I’m keen to see if I can reduce the box count further.

I’m currently running an AT 33PTG or EV into an upgraded Denon HA-500 into my EAR 834P. These go direct into my ATC SCM19A’s.

Would the Mytek be a downgrade? The valves add a touch of sweetness to the ATCs, which I like.

This is tongue in cheek, but @Arkless Electronics did point out that the EAR 834P was very similar to the Croft RIAA, the other day.....
Lots of us like the Croft MM stages a great deal and it is simplest to appreciate in a Croft pre of whatever flavour.

I tried it on mine 9n mc, high gain. Its OK, similar to a 200-300 standalone entry/mid phonostage. It's not going to topple any class leaders but it's passable and super convenient.

This is tongue in cheek, but @Arkless Electronics did point out that the EAR 834P was very similar to the Croft RIAA, the other day.....
Lots of us like the Croft MM stages a great deal and it is simplest to appreciate in a Croft pre of whatever flavour.

That’s an interesting thought, I’d still need my RME DAC though, whereas the Brooklyn would (in theory) replace that too.

Based purely upon comments above, the Brooklyn is not exactly something to lust after.

Beware though - not knowing your kit, the Croft is MM only so you'd need an SUT or head amp' (the EAR is actually a MM stage plus SUT for a MC cart').

I actually thought the MC input on the Brooklyn was very good (with a Denon 103). I felt it was it’s killer feature. The digital section of course was great, but I didn’t find the phono input outclassed (like I do on my Yamaha AS-801).

@jagdesign i don’t know if it would be a downgrade or not, but I think it might be useful option given your situation. I ran a Brooklyn as a pre/phono/DAC into a Line Magnetic and I loved it, but I had a daughter (and then a second) and went for temporary solution.

I might be moving from a Yamaha 801 to a Croft phono integrated soon

It's quite good but not as quiet as my p75 mk 3, when trying them side by side and it only has two options iirc, mc or mm. In the end, I didn't like the interface of the brooklyn and swapped it for an almost one box solution, an atc cda2. The preamp on the latter was better overall than the brooklyn and the dac at least as good.

Edit, this was driving active ATCs

I used mine for several years and it is actually pretty good and matches the AT33 PTG well. It was better than my Dynavector P75 standalone stage, which I then sold.

Thanks for all the input chaps.

I get the impression it probably wouldn't be quite up to the level of my Denon>EAR combo (FYI the Denon is upgraded too), but the reduction of 4 boxes (I'm using an input selector to switch between the DAC and phono stage) to one small unit is appealing.

A nice pre with phono could work, and the idea of keeping the DAC separate makes some sense to me. Also totally open to DIY.

I suspect it would sound different rather than better or worse. It’s certainly good enough for the job but equally I wouldn’t buy a Brooklyn just for the phono stage.

I am considering one (A brooklyn, plus a rpi as streamer) to replace my UnitiQute 2. Crazy?

Apologies if I’m threadjacking.

advertisement

Back