advertisement

Speakers which are unfussy for positioning

Neat Xplorers. Superb either side of fire place and within 25cm of rear wall. Sorted!
Yeah these are defo on my shortlist. Only concern is how well they will fill a large room, although my sx3i aren’t too far off so assume these would be better in that department and work closer to a wall too

Yeah these are defo on my shortlist. Only concern is how well they will fill a large room, although my sx3i aren’t too far off so assume these would be better in that department and work closer to a wall too
I have a room 8m X 5m and they fill the room really well. NAP 250DR is also a match made in heaven.

Has anyone heard the Neat Orkestra? Read a few really positive reviews, go down to 20hz, easy to drive and seemingly work well close to a wall. Should disperse sound well too as I understand ribbon tweeters have good horizontal dispersion if not vertical but providing your ear is at tweeter level or a couple of meters back don’t think should be a problem. Bit pricey though!

I‘ve had good experience with Epos speakers. ES22, M22, Elan30, K2,K3, they all don‘t really care where you put them. Work great woth Exposure too.

Mind you, that‘s what I run!

20Hz at -30dB, who quotes a speakers bass extension at -30dB ?
I think that was sarcasm, don’t believe Neat have published how many db they are down at 20hz however one review I read reckoned they were 3 db down. I currently have Neat Momentum sx3i which I believe effectively go down to 30hz so I don’t doubt the claim of 20hz given the much larger cabinet size.

Sure it was sarcasm. As many other do, Neat is cheating their customers wit such specs. You can't lever out the laws of physic.

You can't have an "above average efficiency", from a small cabinet with a (more or less) closed box system with small drivers and deep bass too.

There are subwoofers out there that don't play 20Hz with -3dB in free field conditions. Maybe it works with room gain but that would be unprofessional to use that in your specs as a company because there are definitions for those specs/measurements.

Your speaker is called with 87dB efficiency by Neat, but they are 85.5db. Neat says it is an 6 Ohm speaker with an impedance minimum of 4 Ohm, but it is 3.4 Ohm (impedance min = max -20% from the nominal impedance) it is even a 4 Ohm speaker.

http://neatacoustics.com/wordpress/...ads/2017/03/MomentumSX3i_HiFiCritic_-2015.pdf

Last edited:
The best speakers for unfussy positioning i've ever used are Shahinian Obelisks. The omni radiation pattern from them means that they tend to sound 'live' compared to other approaches, but once you've got used to it, they just work and you really don't have to worry too much about where you put them. I roll my pair around on their wheels, and just listen to great music without having any desire to swap my room around to suite them.

There's talk of Tannoys not being that fussy. That's not my experience, the bass response seems to be very dependent on room positioning with my pair. They are great though!

advertisement

Back