advertisement

Chord DAC differences

So I’ve been told the Chord 2qute is the battery less version of the Hugo. So what does that make the Hugo TT? Asking as I’m going for one of the 2 mains powered models. Also how would you compare the Qutest to the TT given the price difference?

Qutest is VFM when it comes to price to performance ratio... The Hugo TT will give just a little bit extra but cost you quite a bit extra...Can't go wrong with a Qutest at it's price especially used..

Qutest is the later generation, along with Hugo2 and HugoTT2.

The earlier Hugo TT is a softer, some would say, more organic device. It's basically an original Hugo with (iirc) bigger batteries and a bit more output level. It was designed a a desktop (TT=Table Top), non-portable version of the hugely popular original Hugo.

Qutest and the newer Hugo's are more technically correct but many prefer what they feel is a more musical delivery from the first generation Hugos.

The original TT was a bit overpriced (circa £3k) when new but a few years on is good value but batteries do need to be replaced at some point.

MarkW covers most of it above.
Original TT also has remote control, differential outputs, and the USB input is supposed to have additional filtering. All vs Hugo1.
The TT also runs the batteries at a slightly lower voltage so they're ok permanently connected to the mains though I use a Hugo1 permanently mains powered as well so it can be done. I have, however, had to change the batteries in it - once so far.

You might need to bear in mind that the 2qute only has a fixed 3v output whereas the others all have variable outputs (Continuous in the Hugos, 3 levels on the Qutest iirc). Issue/non-issue would be amp dependant.

Apparently, the Qutest has options for 1, 2 or 3 volts output, so worth bearing in mind if 3v is likely to be too hot.

TT will function as a digital pre, Qutest is strictly a DAC.

I ran a Hugo for years without replacing the battery but it’s going to go eventually...

I have had the Hugo before and used it only connected to the mains. Also had the older Qute ex. Currently without a dac and just using the Node 2 for all duties.

Auditioned the Qutest versus the Hugo TT2 at length. Settled on the latter. Qutest is a front seat at the gig agd arguably on the stage. TT2 is a few rows back. Latter has all the details, timing and timbre of the former but is far more relaxed and relaxing. Latter especially great on vocals.

Auditioned the Qutest versus the Hugo TT2 at length. Settled on the latter. Qutest is a front seat at the gig agd arguably on the stage. TT2 is a few rows back. Latter has all the details, timing and timbre of the former but is far more relaxed and relaxing. Latter especially great on vocals.
Most likely very true but the price of the latter was well out of budget.

My experience as well. I went for the Qutest though as I enjoyed its livelier presentation. Can't go wrong with either though.

I’m interested because I found very little difference between the node2i direct into Avondale mono amps and on to my impulse H2 speakers, than when sending it via a Graham Slee majestic dac.
The latter was very slightly smoother/softer?, but not better.

I kept the GS dac in place for a couple of months and then sold it on.

I’m curious as to whether a different dac would make a solid improvement.

I’ve experimented a bit in the past with DACs and found not a huge difference between them. Though CD players do vary significantly in my experience. I wonder whether more modern DACs do create uplift in sound quality.

I also wondered - when controlling the volume with the node, whether that would impact on the digital signal going to the dac.

I’m interested because I found very little difference between the node2i direct into Avondale mono amps and on to my impulse H2 speakers, than when sending it via a Graham Slee majestic dac.
The latter was very slightly smoother/softer?, but not better.

I kept the GS dac in place for a couple of months and then sold it on.

I’m curious as to whether a different dac would make a solid improvement.

I’ve experimented a bit in the past with DACs and found not a huge difference between them. Though CD players do vary significantly in my experience. I wonder whether more modern DACs do create uplift in sound quality.

I also wondered - when controlling the volume with the node, whether that would impact on the digital signal going to the dac.

while the Node is very good on its own straight into my amp I can hear quite a few improvements in both separation and clarity. Is it massive, maybe not but I like it so far.

Would have been chuffed if my 2Qute was made redundant by the Node 2i, but alas no. Good as the Node's DAC is.

advertisement

Back