advertisement

George Galloway...any opinions on the bloke?

The story of Respect in the aftermath of Blair's Yankee war is much more interesting than Galloway as a person. Respect was formed by Monbiot et al rather that GG. Without doubt though Galloway was the most significant Labourite of his generation and the greatest orator by far. However, his personal flaws were serious, which together with his electoralism, knackered the coalliton in my view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respect_Party

Snappy dresser, a bit of a Ladies’ Man with ready wit and oodles of street cred - that’s what I think he said anyway.

He must have some flair because he managed to negotiate much negative press in the past. I don’t like him though and he clearly has a high opinion about himself.

He was great on the Brexit, at seeing off the SNP, now he’s going to bring his magic to Batley and Spen to damage Labour’s chances and let a Tory in. Maybe Johnson should give him a seat in the Lords next to Claire Fox and Lebedev.

Seems like a bit of a rogue, and no doubt some of his views are unpopular, interesting stance on the invasion of Iraq and seemed to receive a lot of criticism for questioning the sanity of that endeavour.

From what I can tell he is/was a bit of a nutter and conspiracy theorist almost up there with David Icke and Russell Brand. Genuinely amazed he was ever an elected MP.

Back when he was Labour MP for Hillhead in Glasgow( seat taken from Roy Jenkins) in the late 80’s he did do something quite useful. The Sun was out to get dirt on him and his girl friend and she agreed to give an interview with their reporter who had been harassing her, at her flat. Galloway was in wait and sorted the situation out through ‘physical chastisement’.

advertisement

Back