advertisement

Your loudspeaker holy grail

...yet my lust is unabated! Phwoar!

Altec-A7s-Restored.jpg
Those remind me of big screen TVs from the 90s with the screens busted out. :) Definitely not something for a shared space.

Kudos T88 Titans for me. Replaced my Naim DBLs with them about 6 years ago and never wanted anything else since. Stunning speakers with the same bass performance as the DBLs and an even more extended mid and top end. I can set them up in an hour too whereas the DBLs were a mission. If I can ever afford it I might consider the Titan 808.

i also have the T88s driven by 52/135s
I have a large room and they work great.
The 808s look great and would guess they would sound better, but at quote a price
Maybe one day....
David

All I want is something that sounds like Quad ESLs but with more extension top and bottom, with the dynamics and sensitivity of a Klipschorn. Is that really too much to ask?

Totally get this comment having owned various lowthers ns1000s and 57s, going though a vitavox/ horn phase about 15 years ago..

I've around 25 years of speaker building behind me and its still a big ask. Commercial speakers that come close to offering everything are over the 100k mark, so for me diy was what got me close to my ideal.i would say I'm not far off the mark these last few years with what I've built.

I've around 25 years of speaker building behind me and its still a big ask. Commercial speakers that come close to offering everything are over the 100k mark,

Fortunately, for my wellbeing, I've never heard loudspeakers costing that amount of money.

Compared to say a £20k or £30k pair, what is it with regards to the electronics/drivers that elevates their performance to another level?

Thank you.

Nothing ugly about those.

Indeed. Pure form dictated by function. Proper design, not ‘lifestyle’ prissiness.

PS I’ve only ever heard one, I’d love to hear a pair one day. Sadly missed pfm mod/Stereophile writer Markus Sauer had a pair driven by Shindo amps for a good while, but I never got to hear them.

Totally get this comment having owned various lowthers ns1000s and 57s, going though a vitavox/ horn phase about 15 years ago..

I've around 25 years of speaker building behind me and its still a big ask. Commercial speakers that come close to offering everything are over the 100k mark, so for me diy was what got me close to my ideal.i would say I'm not far off the mark these last few years with what I've built.
Which requires a link to those projects. I’d like see your ideas.

Ive heard the BB5's driven actively by a stack of Bryston's. They don't half pin your ears back :D:D:D

The MB2's on their own don't do too bad either ;).

But the thing is they are not all about slam , i play quite a lot of solo harp music and they give a full scale dynamic sound yet delicate when needed.

Hats off to you sir I don't have the funds,skills or equipment to DIY speakers. But if the bang for buck is anything like power amps could be amazing

Avantgarde Trio’s with bass units for me - need a huge room, massive injection of cash and several Benny Hill style lovelies with feather dusters to keep them tip top.

Moving up the ladder for me would be the Bang and Olufsen BeoLab 90, and the lottery win would be the TAD reference speakers.

Fortunately, for my wellbeing, I've never heard loudspeakers costing that amount of money.

Compared to say a £20k or £30k pair, what is it with regards to the electronics/drivers that elevates their performance to another level?

Thank you.
Sorry for the late reply, a busy weekend so far
Loudspeakers are a difficult thing to get right, it's easy to make them good at certain things,
My view is high efficiency is a good start, that to me gives more lifelike transients, but then you need 3/ 4 drivers to get a reasonably flat response.

I've been through my horn phase, those sounded lovely at 1st, but after a few years I could hear colouration, so I dropped them.

I don't like bass reflex /ported Loudspeakers, to me most of them have a unnatural heavy sound .. which can sound impressive I know, but its not for me.
About 5 years ago I came up with a plan to build an extended H frame, in a semi open baffle format, which for me works, in my view it does every thing right ...

Very high efficiency, dynamics and realism, relatively small footprint and does room filling sound levels on a couple of watts or so.
I normally organise the audio talk meets and I'll be at the wam show this year all being well..
I'm sure some will have different views to me, but that's fine.

Sorry for the late reply, a busy weekend so far
Loudspeakers are a difficult thing to get right, it's easy to make them good at certain things,
My view is high efficiency is a good start, that to me gives more lifelike transients, but then you need 3/ 4 drivers to get a reasonably flat response.

I've been through my horn phase, those sounded lovely at 1st, but after a few years I could hear colouration, so I dropped them.

I don't like bass reflex /ported Loudspeakers, to me most of them have a unnatural heavy sound .. which can sound impressive I know, but its not for me.
About 5 years ago I came up with a plan to build an extended H frame, in a semi open baffle format, which for me works, in my view it does every thing right ...

Very high efficiency, dynamics and realism, relatively small footprint and does room filling sound levels on a couple of watts or so.
I normally organise the audio talk meets and I'll be at the wam show this year all being well..
I'm sure some will have different views to me, but that's fine.

I’ve heard a couple of your speakers at Scalford, we spoke both times, I really liked both pairs, the ones that did it for me were some in a relatively small room, upstairs I think. (You had a very large room once on the ground floor).

advertisement

Back