advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

Portico Quartet Terrain turned up today and is sounding rather fine. Very much showing a Steve Reich influence, but with their usual jazz, electronica, hang-drum stuff all present and correct. Some serious bass!

PS There are still some limited editions of this one around if you look (Bandcamp, RoughTrade, possibly elsewhere). I went with the black vinyl and signed postcard from Bandcamp. The black vinyl is flat and very quiet so far (I’m nearing the end of side one), though there is a hard card inner so care needed getting it out the first time! Nagaoka inner from there, obviously.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was too late for that one, they went real quick! I had the choice of orange unsigned (Bandcamp), blue unsigned (Rough Trade) or the signed black, which I’m perfectly happy with.

Gondwana are proving to be a very good label IMO. I’m buying a lot of their stuff of late.

Pre ordered Slowly Rolling Camera's new album, signed coloured available. I only found them last night on Tidal. They are kinda Mammal Hands/Gogo Penguin in style.

My view is modern coloured vinyl is largely fine, I think they’ve sorted out whatever issues existed back in the ‘70s where it usually had a slight price in noise or just sound quality. Even the most obnoxious multi-colour splatter vinyl seems fine these days!

Portico Quartet Terrain turned up today and is sounding rather fine. Very much showing a Steve Reich influence, but with their usual jazz, electronica, hang-drum stuff all present and correct. Some serious bass!

PS There are still some limited editions of this one around if you look (Bandcamp, RoughTrade, possibly elsewhere). I went with the black vinyl and signed postcard from Bandcamp. The black vinyl is flat and very quiet so far (I’m nearing the end of side one), though there is a hard card inner so care needed getting it out the first time! Nagaoka inner from there, obviously.
Really liking this release. Not had chance to spin the vinyl yet.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Intrigued by this recording of Natural Information Society and Evan Parker. Clips sounds great. Evan isn't someone you immediately think of as playing in a group so groove based.

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/natural-information-descension-out-of-our-constrictions/817820-01/

Pitchfork review: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/album...an-parke-descension-out-of-our-constrictions/

There's a separate US pressing that's rather more expensive in the UK. So far as I can tell there's no obvious advantage to it though.

Not a specific track or even album, even though her new release is Idiom, I recommend to the reader Anna Webber, jazz composer and Sax player.

She had a good few albums under her belt now and a definite "modern" compositional style, but I find a lot of it thoroughly compelling and it's generally well recorded too.

No links but there are some good interviews and seections of her music on YT, and most of her work is available on Qobuz and presumably other streaming outlets.

My "recent" favourites i.e. from the last eight years (happy for anyone to recommend anything based on them!):

Sons of Kemet - Burn
Laura Jurd - Human Spirit
Esperanza Spalding - Emily's D+Evolution
Bill Laurance - Live From Union Chapel
Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah - The Emancipation Procrastination
Mammal Hands - Shadow Work
GoGo Penguin - A Humdrum Star
Leifur James - A Louder Silence
Maisha - There Is a Place
KOKOROKO - Kokoroko (thanks @hermit )
Binker Golding - Abstractions of Reality Past and Incredible Feathers

advertisement