advertisement

Speakers which are unfussy for positioning

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi

trying to compose a short list of speakers which are unfussy on placement.

room is 6x5x3.5m with large bay window.

speakers would either be placed on the short wall either side of the fireplace or on long wall either side of couch, so neither ideal. Speakers can be pulled out so that front of speakers clears the couch and same at fireplace.

speakers will be driven by exposure 3010S2D but may or could upgrade to pre / monos later.

currently have neat momentum sx3i which I really like so would defo consider neat again.

budget up to 5k new. Could go used or ex dem also.

thanks

With a room that size, I can't see you facing many problems. You say you really like your current speakers, so why the search for something new?

trying to compose a short list of speakers which are unfussy on placement.

I don't want to 'teach Granny to suck eggs here' but is it possible to place any speaker with out its location in the room or the simple physics of room resonances/ nodes impacting?

I appreciate that not everybody can place their speakers 'ideally' but up to £5k for a used pair of speakers is, potentially, going to get you some pretty decent speakers.

If you don't have any Linn (SO capable equipment) then some form of DSP (as suggested above) is going to, potentially (that word again), deliver what you are looking for.

Spending that amount of money on speakers I'd want them performing at their best and not compromised by the room or their location in any way.

Regards

Richard

What do you dislike with your actual speakers ? Also, are you able to test them with the pre/monos before getting rid of them ?

Nothing I dislike, more a question of placement.

couches are large and intention is to have them in a U shape, open end pointing towards the fire. This means the speakers can go either side of fire place or either side of couch.

potential issues with either setup as follows. The room is rectangular and with the speakers near the fire place they would be pointing down the longer way and loose a bit of impact, would also be quite near the fire so some concern on the heat impact.

with either side of the couch on the long wall they will have the adequate impact. But would have a couch between them which I believe, particularly on their current stands, would smother the soundstage or bass if only the front baffle of the speaker can go beyond the couch?

so this is why I’m thinking I need speakers which can be placed easily. As currently the setup is not in the U shape so no couch between the speakers and have them in the perfect triangle relative to where I sit so the imaging is excellent .

To note my room measurements were wrong it is 6 x 4.5 x 3.5, fireplace on the 4.5m wall.

I'd try the current pair either side of the fireplace and see how it goes, you'll know when they're to close to the wall behind, that's the way I'd set it up if it was my room anyhow, I wouldn't worry about the heat, I've used speakers either side of a fireplace with no issues and currently do, though I never light it. The chimney breast should be the most solid wall in the house.

If you like Neat you might strike lucky and find some second hand XL6 Ultimatums. I’ve owned some, they are stunning and very forgiving from a placement perspective. XLS (stand mounts) would also be worth considering.

There’s no such thing as a speaker that isn’t fussy about position
Well, up to a point, but It's easy to overthink these things. Most speakers I've had do their thing pretty much wherever I've put them. If I were the OP I'd just see how I got on with what I've got for a bit, before spending GBP 5K on something else unsuitable.

Maybe it’s just me that’s fussy?
Quite possibly, but I didn't mean to imply that; maybe its just me that's easily pleased! My point really is that the OP ought to give his existing kit a fair chance before embarking on potentially expensive changes. I'm assuming that he's either moved, or his existing listening room layout is undoing some major changes. In the end, these sort of questions are impossible to answer.

SBLs or SL2s will work great either side of a fireplace. I currently have ATC40S (active) either side of a fire place & they work really well, not fussy regarding placement. As suggested play around with existing speakers first.

SBLs or SL2s will work great either side of a fireplace. I currently have ATC40S (active) either side of a fire place & they work really well, not fussy regarding placement. As suggested play around with existing speakers first.
Do you move them out if the fires on?

advertisement

Back