advertisement

Please for DAC recommendation

Another vote for the Rega DAC here. Recently sold my (non-R) for £260, but served me well and makes everything sound rich and musical - the ‘Rega analogue sound’.

I have a Schiit Modi 3 which is way better than straight out of a MacBook but I know from experience the Rega is a much better

Never seem to see them recommended but the Musical Fidelity M6 DAC is worth a listen. Not immediately impressive in A -B comparisons against something like a Chord, but over time I realised just how natural and musical it is. Expensive new but much cheaper S/H.

I'd also recommend the Rega DAC. Or there is a Saturn-R in the classifieds right now for a very good price. That is a Rega DAC in bigger box with a transport and a few other tweaks so you get a one-box CD player with a full function DAC thrown in so you can run all of your other digital kit through it.

I've put my Rega Saturn-R and DAC up against a few supposedly better machines and it's still here. It's the most analogue sounding CD player I've heard but it is still rhythmic and infectious. All those badly produced CDs you have that you never listen to because they sound crap? The Saturn-R will play every one of them.

It doesn't sound as 'big' as a big Naim CD player but in terms of music enjoyment it's fantastic. I'd quite like to try an Isis one day but the problem is that the Saturn-R is so good I have no reason to.

I keep an eye out for a Valve Isis ... but very happy with my Saturn-R too.

I keep an eye out for a Valve Isis ... but very happy with my Saturn-R too.

I've never heard either version of the Isis so I'm unsure about how much better than the Saturn-R/DAC it might be. The appeal of the Saturn is that it has comprehensive DAC inputs where as the Isis only has a USB input. An input I don't use.

advertisement

Back