advertisement

LP12 Service - SW London

philsparks

pfm Member
Must be around 6 or 7 years since I had my LP12 done. I have Goldring rebuilt Troika to fit (it's got a Aro, Armageddon, Prefix), any recommendations for someone decent to set it up. I used to use Sound Org (Cathedral St), then Infidelity, I think the last time I drove it down to Hampshire, but it's a long time ago!!

I'd even be up for paying for a bit of an upgrade, not £1k+ for a new sub-chassis, but a few hundred quid for 'something'. Although maybe these days a new belt is a few hundred quid!

Any suggestions? SW London, Kingston, Surrey, anywhere I can drive within an hour or so.
Phil

KJ West One?

Last place the late great Derek Jenkins worked, and while he’s no longer with us, I’m sure he will have passed plenty of knowledge and skills on to those he worked with closely.

Derek Jenkins was a master craftsmen on the Linn LP12 and other turntables. I knew him for 40 years and and his partner Mark for 12 years ( Tangerine Audio) so a great loss at a young age.

Regards,

Martin

Derek Jenkins was a master craftsmen on the Linn LP12 and other turntables. I knew him for 40 years and and his partner for 12 years ( Tangerine Audio) so a great loss at a young age.

Regards,

Martin
Absolutely, brilliant guy. I’m sure he’d have left a very positive legacy of knowledge and skill with his close colleagues. I spoke to him a few times and he was so generous with advice and you really wanted to listen to what he had to say. I’m not so clued up with London and further south Linn dealers being Midlands based, but if I were to be in London, KJ West One would be top of my list of dealers to visit.

I use Sound Cinergy in Aldridge (near Walsall, West Midlands) and whilst Clive Kirby might be a less well known name than the likes of Derek Jenkins and Peter Swain, I trust him wholeheartedly to look after my LP12, he’s been working on them for about 25 years... completely fair on his pricing for servicing too. He always replaces springs and grommets during a service and obviously re-sets everything up from scratch, but he doesn’t charge an awful lot for it... he does very much prefer that you leave the deck with him for a few days so he can do an initial setup and then a final setup once the suspension components have bedded in for a few days, so that’s something to be aware of, but he does the job right. He’s no pressure too, I was 15 years old, really skint (and really, really annoying) when I first ventured into his shop, and he had all the time in the world for me... well worth a visit if you’re Midlands based!

Across town - Ray Horn at Grahams HiFi, Islington, N1. Has serviced mine since purchase in 1980!

Must be around 6 or 7 years since I had my LP12 done. I have Goldring rebuilt Troika to fit (it's got a Aro, Armageddon, Prefix), any recommendations for someone decent to set it up. I used to use Sound Org (Cathedral St), then Infidelity, I think the last time I drove it down to Hampshire, but it's a long time ago!!

I'd even be up for paying for a bit of an upgrade, not £1k+ for a new sub-chassis, but a few hundred quid for 'something'. Although maybe these days a new belt is a few hundred quid!

Any suggestions? SW London, Kingston, Surrey, anywhere I can drive within an hour or so.
Phil
Are you up to doing it yourself? If you can knock up a jig, then you have more than enough skill to do the service. There is no magic involved. Some of the upgrades from Stack Audio could then be purchased and fitted at a reasonable cost to yourself. I have no affiliation to Stack, just a happy customer who thinks Theo makes great products.

Thanks guys. "tangerine" - that's who did it last time, I guess it must have been Derek that fettled it then.

Hadn't heard of the Stack products, looks like they may be the right sort of money for a little upgrade and Guildford could fit and fettle. I'll give them a bell, or alternatively Infidelity (remember Simon B from old Sound Org days)

cheers
Phil

Across town - Ray Horn at Grahams HiFi, Islington, N1. Has serviced mine since purchase in 1980!

Is Ray Horn still there? Incredible! I bought my first (secondhand) LP12 at Graham’s, plus Ittok upgrade, Lingo, Cirkus. Ray fixed Sara tweeters for me and re-wired my AR18s. Graham’s was the store that demonstrated two upgrades to me - Linn interconnects over freebies with CD players. And the importance of spiked speaker stands. I bought Sara speaker stands from them for my AR18s and still have the stands

Ian at Billy Vee has fixed my LP12 too And Derek (RIP) at Infidelity

Colin Macey at whatyouseeandhear is also well regarded
Another vote for Colin from me. He's the guy Linn asked to set up an LP12 for What HiFi's review of a few years back. Colin's looked after my LP12 for fifteen or more years - wouldn't go anywhere else.
I live in South London and it takes me an hour to drive to Beaconsfield, so it's not far at all.

http://www.whatyouseeandhear.com/

Mick

advertisement

Back