advertisement

Thinking of selling it all, or massive downgrade at least......

HiFi does get ridiculous. Over the last 18 months I have gone back to motorcycling after many years. I was looking at a beautiful Triumph Thunderbird 2018 with only 2000 mls on the clock a few months back. Price £9250 My tone arm and cartridge cost £9500 now today is £11500. Sort of puts it into perspective. Looking at the Technics 1200G which gets excellent reviews at £3 grand maybe I should get rid of my Acoustic Thunder with 3 motors TA 5000 arm and Soundsmith Sussurro new value £21000 new as Jan 2018 most of it. Makes you wonder doesn't it!!! Must say it does sound great....but so it should. These things can pay off over time, after 20 years of enjoyment and its depreciated to nothing its the price of all those years of enjoyment. Many ways to look at it, but it can become obsesive.

HiFi does get ridiculous. Over the last 18 months I have gone back to motorcycling after many years. I was looking at a beautiful Triumph Thunderbird 2018 with only 2000 mls on the clock a few months back. Price £9250 My tone arm and cartridge cost £9500 now today is £11500. Sort of puts it into perspective. Looking at the Technics 1200G which gets excellent reviews at £3 grand maybe I should get rid of my Acoustic Thunder with 3 motors TA 5000 arm and Soundsmith Sussurro new value £21000 new as Jan 2018 most of it. Makes you wonder doesn't it!!! Must say it does sound great....but so it should. These things can pay off over time, after 20 years of enjoyment and its depreciated to nothing its the price of all those years of enjoyment. Many ways to look at it, but it can become obsesive.

Indeed, it can become a very obsessive and expensive hobby but so can the bikes, I know plenty of folks with expensive bikes, sometimes or even alot of the time more than one bike, not to mention all the accessories, gear and tools and of course running a bike can be expensive especially if it involves a social aspect, travelling to events , etc.
My bike is probably worth double what my system is worth and my record collection is probably worth double what the bikes worth, I doubt I'll ever spend any more on my bike or building another, I do intend in buying more hifi equipment as there's quite a bit of stuff I'd like to try but I'm not really interested in the accessories, I'm still buying records.

Is that not down to the economies of scale though? How much would an equivalent Thunderbird be if it were made hand made by a bloke in a shed from scratch?

Why does good hifi necessarily have to be low volume, made by a bloke in a shed from scratch? That shouldn’t be rationale for spending excessively. You can get pretty fantastic results from high volume products, e.g. Yamaha, Denon. And with a fraction of the BS!

New additions then
Rega Planar 10 with Apheta 3 on the Rega wall shelf
YBA IA350 Integrated amp. (used)
Q Acoustics Concept 300 speakers (used)
ISO acoustics Orea isolation

I retained my dCS Bartok, Roon Nucleus, Solidsteel rack, shed load of high quality cables, power mgmt and RCM.
Something else coming this week and two more items end August.

And there was me thinking you wanted to simplify your system, with more purchases to come, you'll have more kit than you started with ;)

Why does good hifi necessarily have to be low volume, made by a bloke in a shed from scratch? That shouldn’t be rationale for spending excessively. You can get pretty fantastic results from high volume products, e.g. Yamaha, Denon. And with a fraction of the BS!

'Right to repair' does not apply to any product issued in numbers above 3.

And there was me thinking you wanted to simplify your system, with more purchases to come, you'll have more kit than you started with ;)

Not exactly slumming it either, just Rega's top of the range commercially available analogue source.
Side by side I wonder how much of a 'massive downgrade' the Rega is compared to the Thales or when comparing the amp & speaker combinations.

1. the list i've sold adds up to £A big number
2. what i've added speaker and amp wise were MUCH cheaper, used items
3. The Rega is replacing the Thales, WHICH IS UP FOR SALE

So how do i have more kit?

Not exactly slumming it either, just Rega's top of the range commercially available analogue source.
Side by side I wonder how much of a 'massive downgrade' the Rega is compared to the Thales or when comparing the amp & speaker combinations.
From a £20k + TT to one at just over £4k. I'd say a fairly significant downgrade.
They aren't being compared "side by side" as the Thales is there for demo only, as up for sale.

From a £20k + TT to one at just over £4k. I'd say a fairly significant downgrade.
They aren't being compared "side by side" as the Thales is there for demo only, as up for sale.

Definitely a significant price difference, I'm sure they both sound great, GLWTS!

The lower cost HiFi will still be high quality, it is the grade that is lower. The music will still be enjoyable. Something they taught me in management courses. "Dont confuse quality with grade"
So if two items do the same thing but one costs more, it just has to be better somehow? Salespeople must adore you! :rolleyes:

The lower cost HiFi will still be high quality, it is the grade that is lower. The music will still be enjoyable. Something they taught me in management courses. "Dont confuse quality with grade"

Well, in the context of a discussion of hifi components 'downgrade' refers to the sound quality, not how shiny the knobs are. Increasing the price of the component beyond a certain point is really about market positioning and 'exclusivity' rather than any quality that makes any difference in the context of replaying music.

Now badger has to slum it with the folks who can 'only' afford a £4k turntable. Just think what will happen if the folks at the golf club find out about this! :)

So if two items do the same thing but one costs more, it must be better somehow? Salespeople must love you. :rolleyes:
Lets put it this way. Rolls Royce, BMW, Ford, and many others are all quality cars but are different grades. It does not mean if you buy a less costly piece of kit that it will be any less quality but it will be a lower grade and will not give the same performance as a higher grade as with cars. Its fact nothing to do with sales people I don't care if they love me or not.

1. the list i've sold adds up to £A big number
2. what i've added speaker and amp wise were MUCH cheaper, used items
3. The Rega is replacing the Thales, WHICH IS UP FOR SALE

So how do i have more kit?

I think you have misinterpreted my quote, I was only joking. In fairness from your reply, I did think your objective was to simplify your system, just replacing for cheaper items isn't really doing that. I was more inclined to think you were going the Kii or Dutch & Dutch route and just adding the Rega.

Fair enough. Id say multiple valve amp boxes > one integrated is simplifying.
As is removing a two racks of stuff into one.
Also removing a CD player and now only streaming - again i'd say simplifying.
Finally - much physically smaller speakers.

My aims were to simplify and reduce space.
I'd say I've made a good fist of this.

advertisement

Back