advertisement

Speakers advice

say it as it is

pfm Member
Hi all looking for advice on speakers.
Currently have Naim Intros - not quite what I am looking for. Have SBLs once I get the crossovers back but saving them for my ncc220 or ncc200 amp.
Currently using a nait XS.

Previously had naim Nam 402s. Wish I had kept them, but funds dictated the sale. They were early monitor type with 8 inch Goodman's drivers and inch Goodman's tweeters in a front ported cabinet.

I liked the effortless tho not earth shattering bass. Really sweet miss and decent treble

As going to be temporary can anyone suggest a set of speakers similar on a tight budget. Ideally a little more bass but can only go so big with cabinet as location dictates that. The 402 were large stand mount or low stands. Floorstanders are my preference but stands ok as well.
Any bargains out there I should try?

If I was on a very tight budget, I could very well live with large bookshelf speakers like the Tangent TM1, almost anything with similar design from Rogers and worst case, even some Spendor Prelude would be on my list.
All these can be bought with spare change nowadays but don’t let people fool you, they are very musical/interesting to listen to.
B&W DM2 could be interesting as well but usually more costly and rare.

I'm also a fan of DM2s.

I bought a very nice pair 2 or 3 years ago for £86 and shortly after could have had another pair for under £50 so they're not necessarily expensive, just some over optimistic sellers on ebay!

There are some around if you keep an out for them on ebay.

They are quite big in the flesh though!

I have these that I actually kinda don't want to sell, but I am becoming a speaker hoarder so...

As you're explicitly looking for something temporary I wouldn't mind doing a "sale or return" type loan if you're nearby or willing to cover shipping!

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/rogers-ls-4a-black-ash-colour-free-retro-stands.255623/

Hi there thanks for the very kind offer looking to stick with at least 8inch drivers and try and get the ease of bass like the 402s did.

will have a think tho just concerned they will a bit on the small side, then again not a huge room just been used to floorstanders

ok seen some really interesting looking stuff out there Rogers LS6 look good

curious Sony SS 7100 strange looking but learned from experience some Sony stuff is amazing ES CDPs for example, anyone ever heard of them?

Wharfedale XP2 they look rather different and 3way? they any good?

Hi there, out of the stuff I keep a regular eye on theres currently listed for sale:

Keesonic KRF on eBay at the moment (no connection)
RAM 150 / 200 also on there although they look to have non original drivers
Celef monitor / studio pro (the pro’s have been for sale for ages)
Lovely looking pair of IMF HPCMs near me in Devon, KEF B-139 in a sealed box is a rarity and I suspect rather nice. And ALS30s in Swindon would also be nice if they’re anything like the ALS40s I had.
Also interesting looking “ROGERS/KEF KIT, TRANSMISSION LINE” on there would be worth a look if nearby.

Makes me want to start buying speakers again.

advertisement

Back