advertisement

What party speakers for 1K?

jonesi

pfm Member
I want to put to together a system for a party in a local community centre. The room is approx. 24ft by 30ft and the ceiling is not particularly high. I'm going to use a laptop and USB DAC as the source and I have an nCore amp that outputs a couple of hundred watts. The playlist will be mostly Indi pop / rock and electronic dance music (Basment Jaxx, Chemical Bros, Daft Punk, Killers, Pulp, Muse, James, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Inner City). I initially thought about using my Tannoy Berkeleys, I'd love to hear them in the room but I'm now considering alternatives. Budget is 1K used preferable, need to play loud and clear. I really want some JBL L100 classics but they're out of budget.

What do the PFM massive think?

Is this a one off party? Why not just hire a PA for the night?

That was my thought. Find a local firm with a package based on D&B - can't go wrong. And you'll be glad the speakers are mounted on a whacking great sub when someone crashes into it or knocks their drink flying!

yRiDfWz.png

Vonyx VPS152A 15" Active Party Speakers with Stands (electromarket.co.uk)

I once did a party in our big downstairs room (20ft x 20ft or so) with my Saras and 2 x 250s. One of the power amps shut down is it was so hot, it's amazing how much noise you need when you've got 50 people dancing and singing along (people still mention the wine glass that got blown off the unit in front of the one of the sara's at the start of a Grace Jones track!)

So for the next one I got a £100 powered PA speaker - is it as good as the Saras - no of course not, but it's loud, sounds fine as long as you don't overdrive it, and if I trashed it it's only £100.

The link above is the first thing that came up when I searched for a pair of powered PA speakers. If you need something for occasional use I'm sure something like this or similar would be fine, and it's less than £200.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm sure a pair of kans will do the job. Make sure they are really close to the back wall or you'll get no bass.

My junk room is full of Kans which I blew by getting carried away while entertaining. The great myth was "as long as you have a powerful enough amp you won't blow them".

I must get round to sticking the burned out mini-hulks on ebay for an enterprising repairer.

In fact I remember that I used to put a bag of ice on my 250 to try to keep it playing a bit longer before thermal cut-out. It worked but it's an absolute miracle that nobody was electrocuted.

Pic is a V7P and V-Sub :) But same difference - for one night any modern PA by a well known manufacturer should be fine I'd have thought. Ask the rental peeps nicely and they might even do a bit of room correction when they set it up.

Room correction will be completely pointless unless you already have 50 people in there. 50 people completely change the acoustics of an appropriate room. Tone controls on your mixing desk will be more useful.

I once was looking at some passive PA JBL speakers cheaper than L100 Classic for country house using them outside in summer. They all looked quite limited in specs comparing with L100. Maybe good for party or background, but can they be good for actually to listen music?

Back in the early 1980's I was part of a mobile disco in Edinburgh. We used Bose 802 all the time. Light on bass for sure but would "cut across" a room particularly if on stands at ear level.Sometimes we would stack a pair on each stand and at other times we even tried one in each corner of the room - but the latter messed up stereo. Although we did not know really why - they did sound better with the Bose EQ box - which was in later years called a controller by them.

For really big crowds - the Pope John Paul II - 1982 "gig" at Bellahouston Park in Glasgow used hundreds of pairs of Bose 802- each pair mounted on scaff towers pointed at the pens of audience - I recall a 1000 folks in each area and upwards of 250,000 in the whole audience. Set up mostly for one microphone except when the choir joined in !
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-p...1982-a-aerial-view-of-the-crowd-20130640.html
So if they are good enough for a man close to God - they must have been great eh ?

advertisement

Back